Changing patches for note entry

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
jpryce
Sibelius Version: 7.5
Operating System: Mac

Post by jpryce » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:22 pm

Hi all

I'm new to Sibelius, please forgive me if this is a real noob question...

I've worked out soundsets. I'm trying to use EWQL symphonic orchestra as a plugin and have allocated instruments to midi channels and adjusted the mixer parts accordingly. When i play back the sounds are ok but not when playing notes in. I would have thought the interface would be like most others e.g. Logic where if you highlight a midi channel or part on the score you can hear the corresponding instrument for note entry. Is this not so in Sib? All i seem to get is channel 1 (piano).

I even went back to basics and used built in general midi but although i can assign instruments I only get channel 1 when playing notes in.

Thanks

James

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:03 pm

Don't try to treat Sibelius as if it's a DAW. It doesn't like that! :)

You assign instruments to staves by selecting them when you're setting up the score, or by adding staves later as required. You don't assign instruments to channels manually as you would in Logic, Cubase etc! That's the job of the soundset as Sibelius itself. So set the staves up correctly and all should be well.

jpryce

Post by jpryce » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:36 pm

Thanks for the reply Andy. I have soundsets setup ok. On playback all is well. What i expected to happen is when selecting a stave or mixer channel for the right sound to be accessible on the keyboard. To put it another way when playing notes in i ought to be able to select the stave and hear the right instrument. Is that not the case? Currently all i'm getting is channel 1 (piano) on every channel when using the keyboard, when I hit play i hear the right instruments.

Not sure if that clarified it!

James

jpryce

Post by jpryce » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:39 am

Hang on i've worked it out. If you select the instrument name in score or the mixer channel it doesn't change the patch. Only if you select a bar on the appropriate stave. Bonkers.