How to: Octave transposition in a copied (magnetic) part?

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
DrLou
Sibelius Version: 8
Operating System: Mac

Post by DrLou » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:32 pm

My first post here. Not a total noob to Sibelius, but this feels like a noob question! Bear with me!

Simply:

I'm trying to arrange a Three Part piece. In the Master Score (as an example) I've arranged for Flute I, Flute II and Bass Clarinet (mostly because I have no idea how to start with only the names 'Part I', 'Part II', etc. I've got magnetic layout on...

Goal is to produce n parts, in various instrumentations, in order to accommodate whatever mix of instruments show up on performance day!

To create a specific playable part, I simply use New Part from the score (or Copy and Change Instrument). Works great, but...

How to transpose up an octave - or two - without changing the original part in the Full Score? This is pretty simple, I'm sure, and I'm missing it. (As an example:) When I create a new flute part as a copy of the Bass Clarinet, a perfect part is created - except that it's two octaves below reasonable range...

I think of this as something like the common band arrangements, in which various instruments may be swapped in on the day, depending on who shows up!

What it the Best Practices way of doing this in Sibelius?

KJ_Palmer
Sibelius Version: 6.2, 7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by KJ_Palmer » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:42 pm

The simplest way to transpose, once you've copied and pasted the notes is to select the whole instrument part by triple clicking in any bar of that part - all the bars should turn blue, and then bring down the Transpose menu and transpose by the required interval.

Shift T gets the Transpose menu on a Windows/Sib 7.5 setup, and can transpose up/down by up to 2 octaves.

You could rename your parts quite easily by double clicking the instrument names before the first bar and editing the text. You might also want to change the short names (if you're using them) on the subsequent systems.

Not sure what's best practice. Whatever works is fine by me.
Sibelius 6.2, 7.5.1, Windows 11