Setting up a correct configuration

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
Deathlywatch
Sibelius Version: 7
Operating System: Windows

Post by Deathlywatch » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:08 am

I got the sounds and everything along with my purchased copy, but for some reason I cant seem to set up the configuration. I have no idea where to put the sounds to make it work, any step by step guides?

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2

Post by andyg » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:01 pm

Which version do you have?
What operating system?
Have you installed ALL the sounds? If you're installing from the four DVDs, all four of them have sounds on them that must be installed. If you downloaded Sibelius, did you also do the massive downloads of all the sounds? If so, did you then install them?

Sibelius will put the sounds in the right place by default, and the programme will find them and should set up everything with no need for assistance, so I guess you've either missed something out or chosen to do something incorrectly.

Deathlywatch

Post by Deathlywatch » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:17 pm

andyg wrote:Which version do you have?
What operating system?
Have you installed ALL the sounds? If you're installing from the four DVDs, all four of them have sounds on them that must be installed. If you downloaded Sibelius, did you also do the massive downloads of all the sounds? If so, did you then install them?

Sibelius will put the sounds in the right place by default, and the programme will find them and should set up everything with no need for assistance, so I guess you've either missed something out or chosen to do something incorrectly.
Sibelius 7
Windows 8
I installed from the links it gave me, I got .zip files so I'm a bit confused on how to install them. I can make music and get the sounds and such, but I want to export it and it keeps saying that I can't export through the regular thing because my config does not use virtual instruments.

andyg

Post by andyg » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:40 pm

Unzip the files. Right click on them and choose 'Extract All'. Then install them.

Or just left click on them and the look for their 'Setup' or 'Install'

Right now you're using the General MIDI low quality sounds and you can't use them for exporting audio.

But one query, it's not been possible to legitimately download Sibelius 7 from Avid for a long time now, ever since Sibelius 8 was launched. Where did you download these files from?

Deathlywatch

Post by Deathlywatch » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:06 pm

andyg wrote:Unzip the files. Right click on them and choose 'Extract All'. Then install them.

Or just left click on them and the look for their 'Setup' or 'Install'

Right now you're using the General MIDI low quality sounds and you can't use them for exporting audio.

But one query, it's not been possible to legitimately download Sibelius 7 from Avid for a long time now, ever since Sibelius 8 was launched. Where did you download these files from?
Sweet Water is the site I got them. Edit: Sibelius 7 First*

andyg

Post by andyg » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:19 pm

OK. It's technically an out of date product, but in all honesty that's not a problem. A lot of us think there's nothing good enough in Sib 8 to warrant upgrading, unless you're using a Surface Pro. I certainly won't go past Sib 7.1.3

First is a much lesser animal than the full product, but I'm sure it has its own set of sounds that you should install. Also check what version you're running and see if there are any updates/big fixes that you should install.