Changes in Key Signature

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
inkasso

Post by inkasso » Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:24 am

Hi folks!

I just enter a song to Sibelius which is written in F-major an then turns to D-major. I know how to enter a key signature but it doen't look like it's supposed to.

At first (F-major) I've one flat. When the signature is changed to D-major there should be displayed two sharps and one natural to cancel the flat of F-major. Sibelius shows two sharps and plays correct but it looks wrong.

Is it possible to change this behaviour?

Thx in advance for Your help!

Regards

inkasso

John Philpit

Post by John Philpit » Tue Jan 06, 2004 6:26 pm

I'm also a newbie to Sibelius, but I remember reading in the very complete manual that the optional use of naturals when changing between keys that use flats and sharps is turned off by default. And that you can easily turn it back on.

I'm at work now, and don't have the manual here, so I'll have to guess where you should look. I'd start in the House Style menu, maybe the Engraving Rules dialog. Most stylistic alternatives (such as this one) are controlled in there.

If that's not the right place, look in the Key Signatures section of the big blue manual. I'm sure it's explained there somewhere.

I'm very impressed with both the comprehensiveness and the ease of use of that big blue book.

If I can remember to do so, I'll check the manual and post a more authoritative reply here later.

John

John Philpit

Post by John Philpit » Wed Jan 07, 2004 3:35 pm

I've checked the manual and, yes, what I said in the prior posting on this thread is correct. And it not only applies to switches between sharp keys and flat keys (as in your example), but any time you reduce the number of accidentals: for example, from E major to E minor.

rds731

Post by rds731 » Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:38 pm

May I suggest that, from a performer's viewpoint, I would rather have the simple new key than all of the naturals.

Most of the music I see now does not include cancelation in the new key signature and the look is cleaner and less confusing.

Just my opinion. :P