Shifting Chords on the Score

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
StuJanis
Sibelius Version: 8.7.1
Operating System: Mac

Post by StuJanis » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:59 pm

I'm transcribing a very simple treble staff melody and adding chords above the melody line. All is fine until I have first and second endings, at which point the ending lines get pushed down into the score. I don't seem to be able to drag the endings up a little bit and have the chords move up with them - I can only move the endings way up so the chords end up below the ending lines.

Is there an easy way to shift the chords up so I can move the ending lines up a bit? At this point I'm stuck moving each chord up individually and then they lose their alignment with each other. I've attached an image - the issue is on the last line.

Sibelius 8.7.1 for Mac
Attachments
Lord Inchiquin.png
Lord Inchiquin.png (153.47 KiB) Viewed 4384 times

KJ_Palmer
Sibelius Version: 6.2, 7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by KJ_Palmer » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:57 pm

You could select all the chords in question (use ctrl/cmd click) and then drag them above the repeat endings. Or use the Inspector to adjust the vertical (Y) displacement of the selected chords more accurately. A value of about +10 would probably do it.

Personally though I'd drag the repeat endings above the chords, so the chords sit nicely under the lines. Not sure if that's standard, but it does appear that way in at least one book I have.
Sibelius 6.2, 7.5.1, Windows 11

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2

Post by andyg » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:19 am

Hmmm. I've not seen the lines crash into the staves before, have you got Magnetic Layout switched off for them?

Either way, I'd concur with Bob. Select both ending lines and nudge them up with the cursor keys. Magnetic Layout, if on, will, at a certain point, flip the positions so the chords drop below them.

Looks neat, it's easy for the player to read, and it's the way I always do it. Correct, as per the 'rules' of engraving? Don't really know, but it is done like that in plenty of books!

StuJanis
Sibelius Version: 8.7.1
Operating System: Mac

Post by StuJanis » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:57 am

Cmd clicking the chords and setting the Y to 6 seems to do it. I wish there was a way to select multiple chords by clicking and dragging, but that seems to select the measures, too.

I'm having a harder time with the lines. Magnetic layout is on. Selecting the 1st or 2nd ending lines and pressing the up arrow many times does nothing. And similarly, changing their Y values in the inspector doesn't seem to do anything, either, even when I use ridiculous values such as 50.

KJ_Palmer
Sibelius Version: 6.2, 7.5

Post by KJ_Palmer » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:38 pm

You can select all/some the chords (only) by selecting the measures they're in and then using the Advanced filter > Chords text. You can then globally adjust their positions using the Inspector, or simply dragging.

Not sure why the ending lines aren't moving for you, will try and have a look later .
Sibelius 6.2, 7.5.1, Windows 11