How to write this (image included)

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
shanesmusic
Sibelius Version: 7
Operating System: Windows

Post by shanesmusic » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:58 am

How do i input this Image when i try to in Sibelius it changes the whole chord (manual input with mouse). i wish to play the bottom note (b) of the chord for the whole 2 beats and the middle note (e) for a beat and a half then play it again for quarter beat (connected with the beam) and play the top not (g#) for a single beat and play a f# for a quarter.

im sure this is probably my lack of music theory? im self taught.

I hope you are able to read and understand this clearly, this email took myself 10mins, it was like trying to ask someone how to teach myself a language when i myself dont know the right words.

Thanks for your patience.

https://imgur.com/a/BcbaK

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2

Post by andyg » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:45 am

You need to work with 'Voices'. So one note could be held for a minim, while another note in the chord could play four quavers above or below. Your example looks like it will need three voices to work.

Read 'Working with Voices' in the Reference manual, as it will give you far more info on how to do this that I have time or space to in this reply. In fact, you'll probably need to read it and experiment a few times, but it is quite logical in how it's done. When you're doing this, always remember that higher notes will normally use voices 1 and 3, lower notes will use 2 and 4. If the results look wrong, it's likely that you've got this part mixed up.

And the teacher inside me does say "Do some theory!" It WILL help. :)

shanesmusic

Post by shanesmusic » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:37 am

Thankyou, your answer was perfect i can now see how to implement the voices.

For anyone reading this i changed each individual note on the chord to different voice (numbers 1-4 on the bottom of the keypad) which allowed me to change the individual notes within the chords time (ie beat to a quarter or whatever) with out affecting the chords start time or other notes.

Thankyou again, :)

Peace <3

shanesmusic

Post by shanesmusic » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:38 am

Actually took me a little more screwing around, was fun though. Heres the end result :)

https://imgur.com/a/N0huI

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2

Post by andyg » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:09 am

You could select the half notes in the chords and adjust their X position using the Inspector, so that they appear to the right of the whole notes.

Using different combinations of voices might work better, trial and error needed!

I'd use V1 for the whole notes and V2 for the half notes in bar 1, for example.

shanesmusic

Post by shanesmusic » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:18 am

andyg wrote:You could select the half notes in the chords and adjust their X position using the Inspector, so that they appear to the right of the whole notes.

Using different combinations of voices might work better, trial and error needed!

I'd use V1 for the whole notes and V2 for the half notes in bar 1, for example.
Wow the inspector makes it alot easier (doesnt add in the extra notes or rests)

thanks