metric modulation

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
zicktom

Post by zicktom » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:53 pm

Hi! At a certain point in my song I've successfully laid in a symbol that tells the performer to start playing two eighth notes as a dotted eighth and a sixteenth. But eventually I want it to revert to playing the two eighth notes as written. I can't find the symbol for "an eighth note = an eighth note." I managed to do a cut and paste job so it appears exactly as I want, and that's fine, but when doing playback it ignores my paste-up job and still plays it as a dotted eighth and a sixteenth.

Any tips on how to get it to officially revert back?

Thanks!

Tom

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:35 am

Write in Swing where you want it to Swing and Straight where you don't. I have a feeling you'll have to use Tempo Text for this. You can add in a Metric Modulation if you wish but that won't affect playback. You'll have to do the quaver = quaver (I don't speak American! :) ) manually, there is no one sign for it.

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:39 am

"Swing" and "straight" will work in any system text. In later versions of Sibelius, you can make individual instruments swing (or not) by using technique or plain text on that staff. The rest of the parts will be unaffected in this case.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk