How to install a downloaded Bob Zawalich Sibelius plug-in

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
Zenesz
Sibelius Version: 8.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by Zenesz » Sun May 06, 2018 5:42 pm

I'm switching from Finale and haven't been able to figure out how to install a downloaded Bob Zawalich Sibelius plug-in. I've downloaded the scordatura plug-in zip folder, extracted the Scordatura.plg file to my Desktop, clicked on Install Plug-ins/Install Plug-ins, but the Scordatura.plg never appears. Simply double-clicking on the Scordatura.plg file doesn't work either.

KJ_Palmer
Sibelius Version: 6.2, 7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by KJ_Palmer » Mon May 07, 2018 11:03 am

If you're downloading the file directly from the Sibelius plugins page the .plg file has to end up in a Sibelius system Plugin subfolder (one for each category of plugin). The exact location of the plugin folder depends on your system and Sibelius version, but for example in Windows 10 I have a different folder for Sibelius 6 and Sibelius 7:

C:\Users\[My Username]\AppData\Roaming\Sibelius Software\Sibelius 6\Plugins
C:\Users\[My Username]\AppData\Roaming\Avid\Sibelius 7.5\Plugins

The scordatura.plg file should be unzipped into the Notes & Rests subfolder under the main plugin folder. You need to restart Sibelius, and It should then appear in the plugins list in the appropriate menu (e.g. Home > Plugins > Notes & Rests).

The other, probably easier way to install plugins is to go to File > Plugins > Install Plugins, find the plugin by category/name and press the Install button.
Sibelius 6.2, 7.5.1, Windows 11