Delete first (unused) vocal stave line of piano intro.

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
pianoman1
Sibelius Version: 7.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by pianoman1 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:43 am

Hi. I've tried, unsuccessfully, to delete the initial, unused, vocal stave line above a piano intro. I've gone through View-Invisibles-Hidden Objects-Select relevant stave-Home-Instruments-Change-Choose from All Instruments (Solo Soprano)-OK. Nothing happens except "Soprano" appears at the end of the unwanted line.
I'm probably doing something stupid, but advice would be appreciated. Thanks. Jim

KJ_Palmer
Sibelius Version: 6.2, 7.5

Post by KJ_Palmer » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:36 pm

Have you tred to Hide Empty Staves - this should be (possibly depending on your version) under Layout - Hiding Staves - Hide Empty Staves

This assumes there is nothing (apart from bar rests) in the bars of the line you want to hide, otherwise you could try clearing them first.

[I think Hide Empty staves is on by default though, so maybe there's something else going on here].
Sibelius 6.2, 7.5.1, Windows 11

pianoman1
Sibelius Version: 7.1

Post by pianoman1 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:45 pm

Thank you, KJ. It works! I have Sibelius 7.1.3 (and may be one of the oldest users, from the very first version at the BETT Show in the 1980s), and the Hide Empty Staves was not on as a default - I'd worried that merely hiding the empty stave would not allow me to move the page contents up to permit an extra line of music, but it does. Many thanks. Jim

KJ_Palmer
Sibelius Version: 6.2, 7.5

Post by KJ_Palmer » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:51 pm

Great, you're welcome Jim. Just had a go when I got back home, and indeed it seems that hide empty staves is not on by default.
Sibelius 6.2, 7.5.1, Windows 11