how to manage a final sheet design

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
vamm
Sibelius Version: 2018.4
Operating System: Windows

Post by vamm » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:31 pm

ok let's say i have finished all the stuff, wrote/recorded/marked all the notes.
now i want to make it clear and readable. I set a special number of bars for every page, a width of bars and so on. I want the first theme will finish exactly at the last bar of a page, the second one will start with a new page etc., you get my point.
the only one problem is - the program rules it together with me, and rewrite and redesign all changes I do afterwards. And when I come back to the pages I have already fixed, I just see all my changes are gone and the sheet design looks like it was a one hour ago when I had started.
The question - how do I say to Sib., don't touch anything, it's done, it's final?

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5

Post by MikeLyons » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:19 pm

If you want to fix the system/page ends, select the barline you want the system to finish on and press [return] and for a page break press[ctrl/cmd][return]
[return] is the large enter key on the main part of teh keyboard, not the [enter] key on the numberpad.

I don't know why you want to do this. Sib is very good at properly flowing the music on the page. Each system will likely have different numbers of beats on it so it will naturally contain different numbers of bars.

The only place where this generally doesn't happen is with what are called 'lead sheets' which have the same number of bars per system.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

vamm

Post by vamm » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:12 pm

MikeLyons wrote:If you want to fix the system/page ends, select the barline you want the system to finish on and press [return] and for a page break press[ctrl/cmd][return]
[return] is the large enter key on the main part of teh keyboard, not the [enter] key on the numberpad.

I don't know why you want to do this. Sib is very good at properly flowing the music on the page. Each system will likely have different numbers of beats on it so it will naturally contain different numbers of bars.

The only place where this generally doesn't happen is with what are called 'lead sheets' which have the same number of bars per system.
thanks for your reply
it is exactly to the point. unfortunately in my case Sib does not flow the music properly. It needs manual enhancing 8)

bobp

Post by bobp » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:23 am

You can also change the staff size. Not just the number of measures per line. This sometimes helps.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

vamm

Post by vamm » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:38 pm

bobp wrote:You can also change the staff size. Not just the number of measures per line. This sometimes helps.
what do you mean by "staff size" ? make it small-size? how?

MikeLyons

Post by MikeLyons » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:56 pm

It depends on your version of Sibelius. From version 8, I think, onwards you can have each instrument on a different sized staff. You choose it in the instruments dialog.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

vamm

Post by vamm » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:40 pm

MikeLyons wrote:It depends on your version of Sibelius. From version 8, I think, onwards you can have each instrument on a different sized staff. You choose it in the instruments dialog.
may be i understood you wrong
didn't you mean smth like on this Liszt screen ?
https://www.virtualsheetmusic.com/score ... tudes.html

bobp

Post by bobp » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:31 am

Mike,

Did they do away with the ability to change staff size over all? Like from the layout tab?
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

vamm

Post by vamm » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:12 pm

does anybody know about the question I have asked in the previous post?

MikeLyons

Post by MikeLyons » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:07 pm

I have already told you how to make 'system breaks' by pressing [return] after selecting the barline you want the break on. Make sure your margins are set appropriately to allow so many notes on a line and change the staff size as a last resort if all else fails.

In order to get rid of any messing around you may have already done, I would select all ([ctrl]a) followed by [ctrl][shift]u (unlock format) followed by [ctrl][shift]n (reset note spacing). Then select the first barline (end of bar 1) and press [return] This will move the following bars onto the next system. Do the same for all the bars at which you want to make a line break.

This is one of the simplest things to do in Sib.

vamm

Post by vamm » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:55 pm

MikeLyons wrote:I have already told you how to make 'system breaks' by pressing [return] after selecting the barline you want the break on. Make sure your margins are set appropriately to allow so many notes on a line and change the staff size as a last resort if all else fails.

In order to get rid of any messing around you may have already done, I would select all ([ctrl]a) followed by [ctrl][shift]u (unlock format) followed by [ctrl][shift]n (reset note spacing). Then select the first barline (end of bar 1) and press [return] This will move the following bars onto the next system. Do the same for all the bars at which you want to make a line break.

This is one of the simplest things to do in Sib.
oh thanks but i did it already long ago, many thanks to help. but what i have asked recently it is a question from viewtopic.php?p=84188#p84188 about how to make notes smaller (for large passages for example) - i attached the pic