managing dynamics for certain part

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
vamm
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:13 pm
Sibelius Version: 2018.4
Operating System: Windows

managing dynamics for certain part

Post by vamm » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:51 pm

i have a problem when at some moment a particular part has been played with a too loud dynamics. I know it is because of other parts that have "ff" at this section, but I use a special dynamics style expression like "p" or "pp" for the part, and usually it works. I see it is an only one way to set different dynamics levels for different parts, isn't it?
But at this particular place, in the middle of the score, without any specific reason, nothing helps. I change dynamics, colors, rewrite all the part, do all the possible and not possible stuff, but it still has been played "ff" instead of "p" I try to set.
Any thoughts how to override it?

Re: managing dynamics for certain part

by Sponsor

Forum Sponsor
 

MikeLyons
Posts: 549
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:20 pm
Sibelius Version: 8.5
Operating System: Windows

Re: managing dynamics for certain part

Post by MikeLyons » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:09 pm

You need to show us the actual file. otherwise this is just a guessing game.

Suggestions - look for words that affect playback
Turn off live playback
Set performance to meccanico
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2019.1, Windows 10, 8MB RAM, 7TB 7200RPM Storage, Note Performer 2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others.

bobp
Posts: 1134
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:53 am

Re: managing dynamics for certain part

Post by bobp » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:20 am

And some Instruments, like distortion guitar, don't respond to dynamic markings. You have to pull the fader down in the mixer.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

vamm
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:13 pm
Sibelius Version: 2018.4
Operating System: Windows

Re: managing dynamics for certain part

Post by vamm » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:38 pm

MikeLyons wrote:You need to show us the actual file. otherwise this is just a guessing game.

Suggestions - look for words that affect playback
Turn off live playback
Set performance to meccanico
would it be enough if i send a questionable part of it? 'pp' in a left hand obviously sounds like 'ff'

i have tried your other advices without any improvement
Attachments
test.zip
(43.38 KiB) Downloaded 44 times

MikeLyons
Posts: 549
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:20 pm
Sibelius Version: 8.5
Operating System: Windows

Re: managing dynamics for certain part

Post by MikeLyons » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:12 pm

I have to admit, there is something weird going on here. however, I don't know what you have done beyond a few things:

Incorrectly formatted dynamic markings. these are not always successfully played back
'Unusual' use of voices and cross staffing, whichmay mean that dynamics are not being correctly applied/responded to

There is some kind of issue with the pp dynamics in the LH. After a few notes it reverts to the ff in the RH. how did you create this piano? The faders in the mixer are independent, so i would expect then to obey correctly placed independent dynamics.

Bar 7 LHG consistently refuses to obey pp!

It will play if you start with that bar selected in the LH and insert pp on EVERY note. I'm stumped!
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2019.1, Windows 10, 8MB RAM, 7TB 7200RPM Storage, Note Performer 2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others.

vamm
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:13 pm
Sibelius Version: 2018.4
Operating System: Windows

Re: managing dynamics for certain part

Post by vamm » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:09 pm

MikeLyons wrote:I have to admit, there is something weird going on here. however, I don't know what you have done beyond a few things:

Incorrectly formatted dynamic markings. these are not always successfully played back
'Unusual' use of voices and cross staffing, whichmay mean that dynamics are not being correctly applied/responded to

There is some kind of issue with the pp dynamics in the LH. After a few notes it reverts to the ff in the RH. how did you create this piano? The faders in the mixer are independent, so i would expect then to obey correctly placed independent dynamics.

Bar 7 LHG consistently refuses to obey pp!

It will play if you start with that bar selected in the LH and insert pp on EVERY note. I'm stumped!
you probably will laugh but even all-piano layout still produces ff (attach)
Attachments
ertert.PNG
ertert.PNG (204.88 KiB) Viewed 839 times

MikeLyons
Posts: 549
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:20 pm
Sibelius Version: 8.5
Operating System: Windows

Re: managing dynamics for certain part

Post by MikeLyons » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:11 pm

Actually, I don't think this is funny at all. It's quite serious if Sib is now not acting on dynamics! Maybe worth reporting this on the official sib forum and to avid.
Last edited by MikeLyons on Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2019.1, Windows 10, 8MB RAM, 7TB 7200RPM Storage, Note Performer 2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others.

vamm
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:13 pm
Sibelius Version: 2018.4
Operating System: Windows

Re: managing dynamics for certain part

Post by vamm » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:52 pm

MikeLyons wrote:Actually, I don't think this is funny at all. It's quite swerious if Sib is now not acting on dynamics! Maybe worth reporting this on the official sib forum and to avid.
i dont know how and why but suddenly it has started to work... i don't touch any piece around now... so far so good

Post Reply