Print Parts are not like the score - type overs

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
a444carl
Sibelius Version: online std
Operating System: Mac

Post by a444carl » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:25 pm

Hi, I have 3 verses under each voice, guitar tab and piano in the score which I adjusted spacing to get all the text, guitar chord letters, BPM from walking on each other. When I print the parts, though, they come out compressed with lyrics over guitar chords and Alligreto over Introduction. Please advise how to get clean Parts printed out that look like the score.

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:18 pm

If you are printing out separate parts for the vocal lines, you need to format the parts separately from the score. Layout changes in the score rarely translate well onto parts, so you have to do it yourself. This has always been the case.

make sure your three lines of lyrics use line 1, line 2 and line 3 lyric text styles to make sure they arely spaced under the staves. In general, Sibelius does this automatically. Have you turned off magnetic layout, - by accident - maybe?
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

a444carl

Post by a444carl » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:04 pm

Magnet Layout is turned on. I'm not sure how to format the parts outside of the score.
I just put tons of room in the scored parts and spread everything out so they wouldn't overwrite. When I printed the parts out they hadn't changed at all from the previous score that was compressed, but readable.
How do I put screen shots on here so you can see the issue?

a444carl

Post by a444carl » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:12 pm

Mike, Do you mean that I need to extract the parts that make up my score?
and then work on their format individually?
Carl

pianowillbebach
Sibelius Version: 6

Post by pianowillbebach » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:45 pm

You could also try printing to a pdf, then printing the pdf.

MikeLyons

Post by MikeLyons » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:10 am

No. There is no need for extraction except under very rare circumstances.
Once your score is formatted as you wish, click in the top part and press w.
You will get that part in a new tab on-screen. Click the Parts tab of the ribbon and you will see a button called Part appearance. If you click that you will see further options for Current Part/Open parts/All parts. Choose all parts.
Set up your page margins and whether you want auto breaks, This will affect every part at once.
Then in the open part, adjust the space above/space below settings (on the layout tab) until you get enough space for the lyrics (I am assuming your voice parts are on top.)
Do this for all your vocal parts and then make any adjustments to the instrumental parts.

Save the file regularly ([ctrl/cmd]s)
if this process doesn't wotk for you, please feel free to send me the sib file by PM and I'll start you off.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

a444carl

Post by a444carl » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:53 pm

Thanks so much MikeLyons! Success. I'm using version 2019.7 build 1580 which doesn't have a separate Part Appearance button.
From clicking on a part in the score and then "w", that part came up and I could edit it. I just dragged stuff that was interfering.
Some of the lyrics that I dragged went from red to orange. Is there any problem with that?
Cheers!
Carl

MikeLyons

Post by MikeLyons » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:03 pm

Orange just indicates that it is in a different place in the part to where it is in the score. It will not print orange.
Are you using Sibelius or Sibeliius Ultimate? If youa re using the free Sibelius First then you shouldn't expect it to have all the useful features of the paid version. When the splash screen comes on does it say Ultimate or just Sibelius? (That's how you can tell if you're not sure1
Last edited by MikeLyons on Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

a444carl

Post by a444carl » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:53 pm

It's the online Sibelius, not the Ultimate.
I'm documenting songs I wrote down on lyric sheets with chord letters above the appropriate places.
Also arranging my son's songs in sheet music that he has written. The piano, lead and guitar chords type.
Thanks again for you help Mike Lyons. Cheers! Carl

MikeLyons

Post by MikeLyons » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:25 am

Just a thought. I don't know what you mean by online version, but the difference between Sibelius Ultimate and Sibelius is quite extreme. In particular part management is severely limited (that explains why you have no Parts button on the ribbon.

History: When Sibelius (Avid) first introduced your version of Sibelius it was called Sibeliuus First. It was a severely disabled version of the program with huge chunks of features missing. It was really not worth what they were asking for it if you were serious about producing good quality print-outs of your work. This is the version now marketed as Sibelius. The free version of Sibelius is even more damaged.

If you can possibly affors it - even if only by subscription - I highly recommend you get the full ultimate version, especially if you son is writing stuff now. If he wants to do anything with it in the future he'll need it. I don't kow how old he is, but if he is at all likely to do stuff at exam level (GCSE/A level) the full version will be best. Incidentally, if your son is at school or you teach, you can get Sib Ultimate for a huge discount as an educational benefit. You just have to provide proof of attendance/employment at a school.

This might be of interest: https://shop.avid.com/ccrz__ProductDeta ... BDYNA10011&

FYI, here are the differences between the versions (tiers) of sib.

https://www.avid.com/sibelius/comparison

Just so you know what you are missing.