How to change the note valeus of special noteheads

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
EstherP
Sibelius Version: 9
Operating System: Windows

Post by EstherP » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:47 pm

I thought I might notate stamping (in a choir piece) with diamonds shaped notes. Is it possible to put a crotchet on the diamond? Maybe even with a tail? Or does anyone know of a better way to notate stamping?

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2

Post by andyg » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:14 pm

I just used notes of the appropriate value (don't think I needed anyone to stamp faster than a crotchet!) and used an 'x' notehead, with a written instruction that said 'Stamp'. Unambiguous! A diamond notehead with the instructions would have been just as good.

If you wanted a tail on a crotchet stamp, you could use a quaver and hide the resulting quaver rests.

EstherP
Sibelius Version: 9

Post by EstherP » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:55 pm

Ha, this is helpful! I now know that the term I was looking for is 'notehead' and I'm able to change the notes I already wrote by typing that term in the search menu. Is it also possible to write a section directly in a different notehead?

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5

Post by MikeLyons » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:50 am

Yes. With the note entry caret in place (type N) press [shift][alt] and one of the numbers on the top row of the keyboard. You will have to place the notes with the mouse to get the correct notehead or just wait til you've finished entering them, select the notes to be changed (either box selection or filter for specific notes in a chord (see Home-->Filters) and then press [shift][alt]number

[shift][alt]1 will give you cross noteheads, for example, and [shift][alt]0 will give you normal noteheads.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk