Which version do I buy?

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
JCerdd
Sibelius Version: 8.2
Operating System: Mac

Post by JCerdd » Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:36 pm

Hello,

Apologies if this is wrong place for my post (but I wasn't entirely sure where to put this).

Recently I posted about a few issues I was experiencing with Sibelius 8.2 on both my MacBook and iMac since OSX Big Sur was released. As a teacher, I'm finding it so hard to open my students' composition and listen to them as I keep getting random symbols, playback issues, text issues and a few more problems. Therefore, I think I'm going to have to buy Sibelius Ultimate :x

But before I do, does anyone have any advice on which option to go for or if there's a work around the issue? Looking at the Education pricing it's going to cost around £300 to buy a one-off license (which I don't really want to spend). I'd read other posts from people saying to avoid the subscription, which I'm not entirely keen on anyway. I did also go to download a free trial but it just sends me to 'Avid Link' and I can't find a trial anywhere!

Any help or advice is appreciated!

Cheers :)

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:29 pm

If you are using it for school, you really do need sib ultimate. When you buy the full software, you also get a year of updates and free help. DO NOT LET THIS LAPSE. INCLUDE IT IN YOUR BUDGET. That way it will only cost you £80/£90 a year to keep as up-to-date as possible.

I don't kn ow if this is still the case, (I've been retired for about 10 years) but you used to be able to claim one of the 'seats' from your school's licence to use at home.

If you go for anything less than ultimate, you are effectively downgrading your software to basically unusable.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk