Need to Import PDF's

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
StarryNight
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by StarryNight » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:03 am

Now I've upgraded my Mac to Big-Sur I'm unable to import PDF's on Sibelius First 7.1.3 (v1.0.38.16S).
Which version of Sibelius should I buy to allow importing of PDF's, and would I need to buy any additional software?
Many Thanks.

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:56 pm

Your copy of Sibelius will NEVER work correctly under Big Sur. Nothing before version 2020.6 is compatible.

You have three options.

1) upgrade to the latest version of Sibelius Ultimate. Plain Sibelius (which is the current name for what was once called Sibelius First) is so stripped down as to make it pretty useless. The 'new' Sibelius First is even worse.
2)downgrade your Mac's operating system to one that will actually install and run 7.1.3 correctly
3) change to Windows! Windows 10 will still run 7.1.3 and earlier. :wink:

Not Sibelius's fault, blame Apple!

So it looks like you'll have to bite the bullet and pay up for Ultimate. I can't guarantee that plain Sibelius will now do what you want.

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5

Post by MikeLyons » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:24 pm

No, it won't. It is Photoscore that does the import, not sibelius. The version of Photoscore that works with 7.1.3 is still a 32 bit app and will not run on Big Sur, even if by some twist of fate you can get your 7.1.3 to have some of its old functionality.

As Andy said, this is entirely down to Apple.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

StarryNight
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by StarryNight » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:37 pm

Thanks guys. However I now have the following conundrum!
Somehow my Sibelius 7.1.3 appears to work fine but (as you guys said) Photoscore has stopped working. In any case it looks as though in order to import I need to bite that bullet to some extent. I'm intent on keeping my mac on Big-sur so it appears I have two options:

1) Buy 'Plain Sibelius' (Not first or Ultimate) for £79 + Tax or
2) 'Cross grade' to Sibelius Ultimate for £69 + Tax (!) On opening my current Sibelius 7.1.3 a screen came up with this offer for a cross-grade. (Though I've probably opened it 6 times this month that link appeared just the once, the fourth time of opening, but I've kept the link to the offer which appears readily available).

Bearing in mind the need to import PDF's on Big-sur I'm at a loss as to which version of Photoscore works with the two options mentioned and wondering if the version I need of Photoscore comes comes with a 'Cross-grade'???

Many Thanks
(I bet you can tell I'm a real computer geek!...)

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5

Post by MikeLyons » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:43 pm

Because you allowed your sib 7 support plan to lapse, your only option, if you want the same functionality as you had from sib 7, is to get Ultimate. Ordinary Sibelius is the horribly crippled version formerly know as Sibelius|First.

If you go that way, you will lose much of the functionality on which you probably rely.

If you go for the subscription model, depending on whether you get a monthly or yearly subscription, you will find yourself being stymied every month/year when the Avid link messes up your subscription and stops Sib from saving.

Is your version of PhotoScore the full paid for version or is it the free version that comes with Sibelius?

If it is the former, you will have to purchase the newest version of PS from Neuratron. If the latter, Sibelius comes with the lite version as a freebie.

For a long while after the 2019/2020 versions of Sib were released, you could get a reinstatement of your perpetual licence for the latest version. These Reinstatements were usually available for a reasonable cost from resellers. Unfortunately, AFAIK, there are no more of these left anywhere.

Avid are a bunch of greedy, profiteering bastards, but Apple are worse. They are the ones whose hardware no longer supports 32bit apps, forcing their userbase to update all their software at great expense on top of the ridiculous price of their hardware.

I'm not saying Microsoft are angels, but at least I can quite happily still run Sib 6 and 7.5 alongside 2020.12. I could also run earlier versions of PS without major issues. I have the latest version of Windows 10.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk