Photoscore Light

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
StarryNight
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by StarryNight » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:01 pm

Having just downloaded the trial version of Sibelius Ultimate, where exactly (and possibly when!) do I obtain /download Photoscore Light? The Avid Sibelius site is not at all helpful (to say the least). I need to import PDF's into Sibelius on MacOS Big-sur and it appears the only reliable help comes on this site!
TIA

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:54 pm

PhotoScore is NOT an Avid product. They bundle the lite version with Sibelius, but take no responsibility for it.

The software will be listed as one of your downloads. I do not know if Neuratron have updated the software for Big Sur. Only Sib 2020.6 and later will work properly on Big Sur.

When you say you are scanning pdfs, what type of music is it? I ask because PS Lite will not handle more than about 12 staves per page. It certainly won't handle orchestral or band scores.

Also, you need to make sure you have your settings correct before you read the pdfs. Many people fail to get PS to work well because they don't bother setting it up properly.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:22 pm

Remember that this is an unofficial site, once the domain of those with cracked copies and now with just three or four people answering questions.

The official Sibelius chat pages are where most people ask questions and get the answers they need! :)

And however good you get your Photoscore settings, be prepared for a lot of work in Photoscore and Sibelius to get decent results. The more complex the score the more you'll be tweaking things, and with simple scores and some practice, it will be quicker just to re-set the whole piece by manual input.