Convert choir SATB to Choir reduction

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
m0v1c
Sibelius Version: 2021.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by m0v1c » Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:46 am

Hi all and Yoroshiku! I am new to Sibelius and am full of questions but this one is at the top of my list. I have googled but no luck. I am mostly using Sibelius to transcript old hand written type of church music and almost all of it is in the Choir SATB format but in the reduction style SA + TB (only using two staves) the stems for each face up down up down respectively. This saves space, paper and minimizes page turning during singing. But, when transcribing it is considerably easier to use the four stave Choir SATB format especially for proof reading. So, is there a way to convert Choir SATB to Chior Reduction after finishing the score. A plug in perhaps? Any help or work around would be hugely appreciated. :D

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5

Post by MikeLyons » Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:39 am

As well as reduce, Sib has an expand plugin. It's also fairly easy to do on a score by score basis. Thefollowing method is non-destructive. You'll still have the SA +TB part at the end.

1. Add four staves for the voices.
2. Check the voice use throughout the score to ensure the use of voices 1 and 2 is consistent
3. Triple click the SA staff to select it throughout the score
4. Select voice 1 ([ctrl][shift][alt] 1)
5. [alt]-click the part onto the Soprano staff.
Repeat steps 3-5 using the tenor part/staff
6. Triple click the SA staff to select it throughout the score
7. Select voice 2 ([ctrl][shift][alt] 2)
8. [alt]-click the part onto the alto staff.
9. Triple click the alto part staff and then press [alt] 1, triple click the staff again
10. Press [ctrl][shift][alt] 2 again to select the left over rests and delete them
Repeat steps 6 to 10 for the bass line.

It sounds like a lot of work, but it takes a lot less time to do than it does to read. All the numbers are on the top row of the main keyboard.

If you are on a mac, substitute [opt] for [alt] and [cmd] for [ctrl].
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

m0v1c
Sibelius Version: 2021.2

Post by m0v1c » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:47 am

Hi. Its wonderful to have some help. I really appreciate it. It seemed really complicated but I managed to work it in the end. I also used this guide to help. viewtopic.php?t=1491
I know their are many of us doing all sorts of things but I feel that I am in a unique situation as i am working mostly with very old hand written (19th c ) and manually typed music plus lots of Key free music I would really appreciate all the help I can get. At 44 its hard to learn new tricks. Thank you.

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5

Post by MikeLyons » Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:43 pm

You should try it at 64 (nearly 65)! I can change window on screen and totally forget why I went there!
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk