Yamaha P-515 goes mad if I change an instrument when connected to Sibelius

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
krysarr
Sibelius Version: 2019.1, build 1145
Operating System: Windows

Post by krysarr » Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:28 pm

Hi,
I've just succesfully found out how to record MIDI using my Yamaha P-515 and Sibelius.
I've been even able to let that MIDI play back on my piano.

What bothers me is this:
When I change an instrument or tempo or turn on the metronome on my piano while connected to the computer and Sibelius, it goes "mad" and stops reacting to pressing any buttons (and the tempo keeps changing itself). The keys work, I can play music, but nothing else.
It's happened many times and usually I have to turn off the keyboard (and logically Sibelius too, because it wouldn't recognize the piano).

Do I do anything wrong?
And is there a possibility to use the piano metronome when recording into Sibelius?

Thanks a lot!

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:49 pm

I think I know what's going one here. Do a little investigation into MIDI loops and 'Local Off', and you may find a solution! :) I could just tell you but you won't learn the details that way! :) Of course, if that doesn't help, we'll have to do some more digging around!

As for using a metronome for playing live into Sibelius, Flexi-Time is so fraught with timing problems (caused by latency and the abilities of the player to deal with it - and to play perfectly in time in the first place!) that I wouldn't even try. If you get really proficient with Sibelius you'll probably find that you can input from the keyboard or from the keyboard plus piano faster than you can record in Flexi-Time and then do all the required editing.

If your piano is sending the metronome beats out via MIDI, try to find a way of shutting that off, so that you just hear the metronome. If you try to follow the metronome in Sibelius, you're into latency issues again.