Process for signing up to SIBELIUS FIRST

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
MacG64
Sibelius Version: 6
Operating System: Windows

Post by MacG64 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:34 pm

Hi,

not even off the starters block yet…. :(

Have successfully downloaded Sibelius First and a pop up has appeared saying unless I sign up to SIBELIUS FIRST I will only be able to use in “Review Mode” Followed the link and it is as clear as mud how to sign up for SIBELIUS FIRST.

Also, do I need to create an Avid Link account in order to actually edit in SIBELIUS FIRST.

Have read the Installation Guide, and other support documents… and still none the wiser!!

Can anybody help please?

Many thanks in anticipation.

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2

Post by andyg » Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:12 pm

Sibelius First is so stripped down, it's almost useless. Even plain Sibelius isn't much better. The only version of Sibelius worth having is Ultimate and you probably already know how much it costs.

I read in your other thread that you have Sib 6 files. I'm not sure that you'll be able to do much with them in First, even if you get it running.

If all you want is a good, flexible notation app and you don't desperately need to work with those Sib 6 files, I'd get Musescore 3 instead. No hassle and better than First. In fact, if you ask nicely (and don't have dozens of them) some kind soul may well be able to open your Sib 6 file(s) and export them to XML, so Musescore can read them.

MacG64

Post by MacG64 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:46 am

Hey andyg! Thanks so much for replying! Have JUST activated SIBELIUS Ultimate for a free 30-day trial. Yes....as you say, SIBELIUS FIRST is very limited.

I'll certainly bear your advice in mind. Grappling with lots of new programmes at the moment so when things are less hectic will explore the Musescore 3 instead.

Many thanks for taking the time to respond!

S :D

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5

Post by MikeLyons » Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:12 pm

Just a thought - I hate wasted effort - Export anything you do in the trial (and your sib 6 files) to musicxml files. That way, if you do go over to MuseScore, you can take them with you.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

field19
Operating System: Mac

Post by field19 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:44 pm

How much does the mid-level Sibelius cost? Is it useful to compose and playback jazz band arrangements? What do the playbacks sound like? Do they sound like realistic instrumental samples or just a computer-sounding keyboard sound?

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2

Post by andyg » Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:48 pm

Not sure of the cost for you - check on the Avid website - but it's still really cut down from the full Ultimate version, which is the only one worth buying.

Playback using virtual instruments is good but not perfect. You can use the Sibelius sound library itself right out of the box. Or buy third party libraries. But, for some (most) of these, you'll need to create a Sibelius Soundset file that will allow Sibelius to use these sounds seamlessly. There's Garritan Jazz and Big Band, great sounds, but neither Avid nor Make Music would produce a soundset for it - the companies are rivals! Creating soundsets is not for the faint hearted.

You can create jazz band scores in just about any notation app - composing is done by the person, not the app (I hope) - but for really good playback you need the resources of a DAW, which allows you to use all sorts of third party sound libraries.