E-flat piccolo clarinet/oboe help

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
blkhwks19
Sibelius Version: 5

Post by blkhwks19 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:53 pm

I have a score that calls for an Eb piccolo oboe. I have 2 questions:

1) How can I create an Eb oboe? I know nothing about keys/transposing, and I don't see anything in Sibelius' pre-made list so I'm not sure how to create this. I'm guessing I can base a new instrument on the regular Oboe and modify it, but what would I need to modify?

2) How can I create a piccolo variant? I know the regular piccolo (as in flute) has a separate piccolo playback voice which is unique from the flute. But there's nothing like that for oboe. Is the difference simply a matter of being an octave higher? If that's the case, could I just use the regular Eb oboe instrument and notate the notes up an octave to achieve that same sound? I know it's not technically the same, but it might be close enough that the difference is negligible.

NOTE: I'm doing this for my own playback enjoyment, so the goal is to get an accurate playback sound. I'm willing to compromise a bit like I mentioned in question 2 though. "close enough" is ok with me.

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:03 am

If you have any version of Sib from before 2018, or any version of Sibelius ULTIMATE since Avid started using that terminology, you can add new instruments to your list. I have never heard of an oboe in Eb, or anyone who playsone, but if you want to create one, use the existing oboe to base it on. The sound won't be exactly right and you'll probably be very, very lucky to find any instrument library that contains one.

You don't know what "Oboe in Eb" means? It means that when the oboe plays a written C, the sound it makes is actually an A and when it plays a written Eb, the sound it makes is a C. It is a transposing instrument. You need to set this up through Edit Instruments (on the Home tab in Sib Ultimate). Create a new instrument based on Oboe and set its parameters as in the image. I had to guess at the range because I couldn't find any information about it. The sound will only be approximate. If you are using Sib sounds, you won't hear anything if the music goes out of the ordinary oboe range.
Eb oboe.png
Eb oboe.png (53.62 KiB) Viewed 3563 times
As for Eb clarinet, there is already one in the library.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

blkhwks19
Sibelius Version: 5

Post by blkhwks19 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:06 pm

Thanks! I figured it was something like this but had no idea what the range/transposition stuff would need to be modified to, so thank you for that!

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:55 pm

I'll let you into a secret - I have no idea how accurate my random changes are!
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk