ficta below note

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
ncleeno
Sibelius Version: 2020.6
Operating System: Mac

Post by ncleeno » Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:36 pm

I’m a beginner and just figured out how to use plug-in number 30 «Add ficta above note». Is there no way to add ficta BELOW the note? There should be, for keyboard music.

KJ_Palmer
Sibelius Version: 6.2, 7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by KJ_Palmer » Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:28 am

This plugin is rather old and inflexible, and there's no 'add ficta below note' plugin. I think the only way to change the position is through the inspector (Ctrl/Cmd Shift I). You can change the Y vertical position to something suitable, e.g. -5, or simply by dragging.

If there are a lot of fictas, you can use the filter to select them. The fictas are in Technique Text. Be careful to unselect anything else in technique text, though, before changing anything.
Sibelius 6.2, 7.5.1, Windows 11

ncleeno
Sibelius Version: 2020.6
Operating System: Mac

Post by ncleeno » Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:10 pm

Many thanks, your methods work for me, but then a new question arises: what «y-axis offset» should I choose in each case? I assume this is not something one simply approximates by eye, but that one rather needs to adjust each ficta symbol to a certain clearance above or below stems and beams. Beam angles can vary, which means they must be taken into account as well as the notehead. The plugin uses the same distance from the staff in all cases, which seems too crude to me. So far the only method I can come up with is to move the accidental so close to the staff that it jumps sideways to avoid collision; then I can count how many times I hit the arrow to move it back in the opposite direction.

KJ_Palmer
Sibelius Version: 6.2, 7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by KJ_Palmer » Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:28 pm

Sorry, not sure if you do anything but manually align the fictas (fictae?) by eye. Perhaps someone else here, or on the official Sibelius forum may have the solution.
Sibelius 6.2, 7.5.1, Windows 11