Is "Sibelius First" nearly the same as the other versions?

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
CharliePinneo
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by CharliePinneo » Fri May 27, 2022 12:38 pm

I have the lowest priced version named "Sibelius First" version 7.1.3 (Mac). Are most of the commands and appearance the same as other versions? What differences or similarities are there compared to the full blown full score version. I make lead sheets of jazz and rock tunes to play along on my vibraphone—playing along with records—iTunes actually. So if I make a lead sheet in Sibelius, is it the same as lead sheets made by other versions of Sibelius? How many versions of Sibelius are there? I think I'm limited to about 4 parts in a score—4 staves? Also, I can't find a way to add a second harmony part to a melody in the same staff, so I guess I have to have two staves for a melody if I play them in separately. Right? I could put the two parts (melody & harmony) in together two notes at a time, but I want to add the second melody line after I'm done with the first line.

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Fri May 27, 2022 2:30 pm

OK, Have you heard the phrase "As much use as a chocolate fireguard/teapot"?

If you intend to do any serious composition and/or arranging it is no use at all. Even the middle tier, so artfully now called Sibelius Artist, is less than optimal. There are seriously useful features missing from both of those versions.

If you are working as a student or teacher and have an eductional email address, you can get the fully functioned Sibelius much cheaper than the normal price.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2

Post by andyg » Fri May 27, 2022 3:19 pm

If you just want something simple for basic notation, then download and install Musescore 3. It's way better than Sibelius First which is probably worse than that 'chocolate teapot'. Even Sibelius Artist is severely limited. I can't recommend either any more.

I now introduce all my students to notation and scoring with Musescore. If they eventually find they need something better - and few do - then the keystrokes in Musescore and Sibelius are often close enough to make the learning curve less steep.

So the bottom line is that Sibelius Ultimate is the only version worth having. Expensive but, as Mike said, if you qualify for educational pricing, the savings are very good indeed.

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5

Post by MikeLyons » Fri May 27, 2022 3:28 pm

andyg wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 3:19 pm
If you just want something simple for basic notation, then download and install Musescore 3. It's way better than Sibelius First which is probably worse than that 'chocolate teapot'. Even Sibelius Artist is severely limited. I can't recommend either any more.
Great thought, Andy. I keep forgetting about MuseScore!
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk