Total License / version confusion

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
MobilePhil
Sibelius Version: 2022.7

Post by MobilePhil » Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:19 pm

I am at my wits end. Please help:-
Hi. On July 31st I paid £119 + VAT for Sibelius "Artist" perpetual license. I understand this to be a one-time-only payment for the right to use Sibelius "Artist" in perpetuity without hindrance or demand for further payment.
I have been using "it" since then but now, when I start "it" I get a dialog box telling me that my Sibelius Ultimate trial is expiring in 30 days – WHAT ??? I didn’t buy Sibelius Ultimate !!!! - I bought the right to use Sibelius "Artist" in perpetuity without being asked to pay more money. Have I been using Sibelius Ultimate ?
Anyway, in this new dialog box, if I click on “Activate License”, it takes me to some funny page thing called “Avid Link”. There I click on “Products”. It lists “Sibelius” with the green text “reconnect to Avid” (What ???) If I click on “Manage Devices” it says I have no licenses. What ?? Funny, that - I could have sworn I just paid £119 + VAT for a license in perpetuity for Sibelius "Artist" ???????
Every thing I try leads to me being asked to pay more money to Avid. Why ?
Where has my license gone ? which version have I been using ?
Why does starting Sibelius just give me this dialog box and not start the software ?
Am I really forced to keep paying further money in order to use what I bought – namely, Sibelius Artist ?

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:15 pm

You need to make sure that the licence showing in Avid Link is the one you should be using - i.e. Sibelius Artist. If you have had a previous licence or a trial for Sib ultimate, even if it was installed accidentally, this will remain in force until you change it.

You need to make sure you are logged into avid link and your avid account. On the product page of avid link click on the dropdown next to Sibelius and choose Licence. From the dialog that opens choose your Sib Artist and activate that. You may also have to click the Sync account button (found under the three dots (...) above Home on the left hand side). If it still doesn't update, get back to us.

Before you say it YES it IS needlessly complicated!
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:35 pm

And if by chance you have been using Ultimate for the past few weeks, be prepared for a massive drop in functionality when you use Artist. It's very stripped down from the full product. :(