Delete Unintended Lower Voice from PT Import

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
orisonosiro
Sibelius Version: Artist
Operating System: Windows

Post by orisonosiro » Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:07 pm

Hey gang, first post here. I'm looking for a quick way to delete a lower voice that mysteriously appeared as a unison on a one voice part. Took the time to go through and delete each note, but now I have all the rests there looking ridiculous. This was from exported/imported PT midi. Are plugins still a necessary evil with Sibelius? Will one be required for this simple task? If so, my version doesn't have the import plugin option I see referenced to install the DeleteVoice4 plugin, if that's what needs to be used? Thanks!!!

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2

Post by andyg » Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:07 pm

Artist is so stripped down from the full version, that I don't know if you can import plug-ins.

If you now only have one voice on that stave, try highlighting it and Pressing Alt+1 (or the Mac equivalent)to make it just Voice 1. No idea if that will work as I don't have Sibelius on this PC.

orisonosiro

Post by orisonosiro » Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:40 am

Thanks, Andy. I had to just import everything again and redo all the changes I'd made. I don't know if Artist takes plugins either. Hopefully I don't run into these kinds of issues regularly. Guess I'll have to upgrade if I do. I didn't expect additional limitations with Artist outside the number of parts. Btw, happened to try the method you mention here before I started over and neither that shortcut, or the other ways to change voices, worked. Strange to hit a wall over something so simple.

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5

Post by MikeLyons » Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:26 pm

Hi.
Quite apart from the lack of non-built-in plugins, much of the most useful functionality of Sibelius is missing from artist.

With the duplicate part, If both lines are in the same voice, Select a passage (NOT the whole staff) which has two lines on it and press [ctrl][alt]2. This will select the bottom note of the pairs. Pressing [delete] will get rid of them. The down side is that it will select single notes.
If the unwanted part is in voice 2, then pressing [ctrl][shift][alt]2 will select all voice 2 notes and pressing [delete] (possibly twice) will delete them.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

orisonosiro

Post by orisonosiro » Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:50 pm

Thanks for the input on Artist, Mike. Was not aware. Last time I had the program, many years ago, I don't remember this kind of thing. Will see how goes for a while. I only really notate to analyze and develop my own ideas. Could potentially hire someone to play an instrument that I don't play, but that'd be rare. Def don't need full orchestration capabilities for now, but we'll see what happens. All that said, if it's going to be annoying for even my modest purposes than I will upgrade for sure. I think I tried variations of your suggestions and was left with rests behind, but possibly not exactly as you described. I will def file your points for if the issue comes up again, which I'm sure it will; deleting a line is surely a common requirement. :lol:

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5

Post by MikeLyons » Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:29 am

What is called Sibelius Artist was actually what used to be called Sibelius First in previous lives (around Sib 7). Not only are your staves limited, but half of the basic functionality is missing.https://cdn-www.avid.com/-/media/avid/f ... -guide.pdf

Where it says Sibelius, read Sibelus Artist.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk