Sibelius not importing triplets correctly from Midi file

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
ItzPear
Sibelius Version: 2022.12
Operating System: Windows

Post by ItzPear » Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:33 am

Hello. I have a midi file with triplets in them. A triplet with three eighth notes seems to work fine, however whenever its an eighth note, an eighth note rest, and then an eighth note again, Sibelius seems to be interpreting this triplet as a sixteenth note, two sixteenth note rests, and an eighth note. If anyone knows a way to fix this, it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

After messing around with it some more. I managed to make it like this.
The problem with this is that the rest is a sixteenth note rest. It prohibits me from changing it to an eighth note rest for some reason.

It doesn't seem to like two slurred notes in the triplet either. It seems for anything other than three eighth notes in the triplet, Sibelius will default to a total of five sixteenth notes worth of notes per triplet, which doesn't make sense as logically there should be six?

On top of that, it seems that if I take a triplet with three eighth notes, I can replace one of the notes with a rest and it works fine.

However when I try to replace the sixteenth note rest with an eighth note rest here, It prohibits me from doing so.
Does anyone know why?

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:27 pm

Sibelius is still poor at handling triplets and other tuplets. The only way you can guarantee to get accurate triplets of the type you describe is to make sure the MIDI file is properly quantized and that all other tuplets apart from triplets are disallowed in the MIDI setup dialog.
flexitime triplet options.png
flexitime triplet options.png (22.54 KiB) Viewed 2605 times
You should also turn off live playback while importing the file.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk