how to change instrument playback

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
persicaria
Sibelius Version: free
Operating System: Windows

Post by persicaria » Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:32 am

How do I change instrument playback on Sibelius Free?
The Help Guide p68 says this:
By default, all the staves will play back with a piano sound, but you can change this: rightclick
(Windows) or Control-click (Mac) the names at the start of the first system (e.g. Staff 1),
choose Instruments from the context menu, then click Rename. You will see a dialog that
looks a little like Sibelius’s Create > Instruments dialog, from which you can choose the correct
name (and therefore the sound) used by that staff.
BUT
when I click on staff>instruments> there is no option to rename. Just to add or remove instruments.
Can anyone help please?
Many thanks.

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2

Post by andyg » Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:16 am

There is no such thing as Sibelius Free. I assume that you mean Sibelius First, the free to use version.

This version is so cut down that it's almost useless. It's quite possible that the rename feature simply isn't in the free version.

If so, a workaround would be to create a new staff with the desired instrument, copy the notes to it, then delete the original staff.

If you intend to upgrade through the Sibelius versions (and the full 'Ultimate' one is the only one worth having), then stick with First and get to know how it works.

But if you just want some free notation software that is way more capable than First, then download Musescore 4 and its sound libraries. In fact, if you did that and later wanted to switch to Sibelius Ultimate, you'd find that the way of working is very similar.

persicaria
Sibelius Version: free

Post by persicaria » Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:27 am

Thanks, andyg. Yes, I meant Sib First. I too assume that the feature just isn't there. The puzzling thing is that the Help Guide as I quoted says that it is. Thanks for advice about Musescore 4.