Piano Finger Numbers

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
Carlpiano
Sibelius Version: 8
Operating System: Windows

Post by Carlpiano » Wed Jun 21, 2023 4:05 pm

Hi,

is there a way to create piano bass clef finger numbers under the stave? At present all finger numbers go over the stave whether treble or bass. At the moment I am creating fingering and then moving the numbers manually which is really time consuming.

I am on the trial version of Sibelius at present and this seems like a really basic thing to be able to do but I can't find any posts on it.

TIA for your help.

MikeKing
Sibelius Version: Ultimate
Operating System: Mac

Post by MikeKing » Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:14 am

Hi,

I ran into this today with an electric bass part for a student. I used the lyrics feature.
1. Click the first note of the phrase
2. Command "L"
3. Enter the first fingering
4. Spacebar to go to the next note.

There's probably a better way to do this, but this worked for me and put the fingerings under each note. With multiple fingers for chords you just need to hit "enter" and build it from the top down.

Hope this helps.

Mike

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:55 am

Have you heard the phrase "You get what you pay for and you pay for what you get"?

The free version of sibelius is extremely crippled by omissions and unavailable features.

In the full version, you would be able to create a new text style to place fingerings under the staff, based on the existing fingering text style, so that the font and size and horizontal placement will remain the same. You can't do this in the free version.

You could make it a little easier to accomplish by waiting until you have entered all the fingerings then going into panorama view ([shift]p) and clicking on the first fingering to select it. Then press [ctrl][shift]a (select more) which will then select all other fingerings on that staff so that you can move them all at once.

The keyboard shortcuts above are for windows. If you're on a mac, you'll have to use your version (in the manual).
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2024.3.1, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 4, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk