Drums question

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
bartjefrit

Post by bartjefrit » Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:28 pm

A couple of 'drum' questions:

- what is the difference between the instruments "drums" ,"drum kit" and "drum set"? Is it just the name?

- how do I create a snaredrum roll?

- in the drums stave, do I need to use 2 different voices for bassdrum and snare?

Sebasian

Post by Sebasian » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:25 pm

what is the difference between the instruments "drums" ,"drum kit" and "drum set"? Is it just the name?
Yes - the instruments, stave etc are the same.
how do I create a snaredrum roll?
You can use the third keypad layout and use three strokes. or, in later versions of Sibelius, a 'z' symbol for roll. (For GM and most other sound sources, this is an approximation of a roll. If you have Sibeliius 4.1 and GPO you can have sampled rolls, but only with the dedicated instrument Snares KS.)

An alternative to the strokes through the stem is to use a trill line. There is actually no need to set the size of the trill to 0 semitones (in the properties window, performance pane in v.4) but I always do because it feels wrong not to.

You can also define a trill line without the 'tr' in Edit Lines - it will still work as a trill but conforms to some styles of modern orchestral notation
in the drums stave, do I need to use 2 different voices for bassdrum and snare?
No (though it might be clearer to read). It is purely the position on the stave, or notehead if on the same line or space, that determines the sound.