Deleting notes

Discussion of converting to Sibelius from Finale.
psengu07

Post by psengu07 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:10 am

Hi there, I'm new to Sibelius 7 after using Finale for quite some time.
Most note input options seem to be a lot easier and I'm slowly getting the hang of the changes, however I want to know if there is way to delete notes in Sibelius 7 without replacing them with a rest?
In Finale, if I had 4 quarter notes in a bar and wanted to remove the 2nd one, I could delete it and it would shift the 3rd and 4th notes back so that they now become the 2nd and 3rd notes. If I select the note in Sibelius and hit backspace or delete, it simply replaces the note with a rest. I can't seem to find any way of getting rid of that rest so that the other notes in the bar take its place. Is there something simple that I'm missing?

Hope that made sense...! Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:18 am

NO, that's the way Sibelius works. You're not missing anything. Your working will change between F and S, as you've found. Stick with it, you'll find it all makes sense in the end! I did, many years ago now, and though I also have Finale 2010, it never gets used now.

psengu07

Post by psengu07 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:56 pm

Thanks for that andyg! I thought as much.
I know it seems like a pretty trivial/random thing to be worried about, but for the record, in such a situation where you have notes later on in a bar that you would like to shift back, what would you recommend is the easiest way to accomplish this in Sibelius? Just copy and paste? Sometimes it's annoying having to re-enter a chord or a complicated run from scratch.

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:25 pm

Copy and paste is the way to go for this, only a few clicks!