Esc (Escape Key) Just stopped working!

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
Bo Ayars

Post by Bo Ayars » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:25 pm

Hi - Just upgraded to Snow Leopard on my iMac, went to use the ESC key in Sibby 6, and...nothing...dead in the water. Went to Preferences and tried to re-input it for my own set of keyboard shortcuts...no could do. All they had was the "clover key" (never sure what that's called) and a "period" (.). That worked, and I think, with some therapy, I can get used to it, but where did my ESC key go? Any info would be helpful and no, no ransom will be paid...

Bo
ax2music.com
signaturesmusic.com

Peabody

Post by Peabody » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:02 am

Is your escape key ineffective in other programs, or just Sib?

Bo Ayars

Post by Bo Ayars » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:52 pm

I don't use the ESC key much except in Sibby 6, but I just tried it on YouTube and, no, it's not working there, either. So, it's got something to do with the new Snow Leopard. Being a musician and not a tech-savy person, I could use some help about this problem. Thanks in advance...

Bo
ax2music.com
signaturesmusic.com

Bo Ayars

Post by Bo Ayars » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:52 pm

I don't use the ESC key much except in Sibby 6, but I just tried it on YouTube and, no, it's not working there, either. So, it's got something to do with the new Snow Leopard. Being a musician and not a tech-savy person, I could use some help about this problem. Thanks in advance...

Bo
ax2music.com
signaturesmusic.com

Jeremy Hughes

Post by Jeremy Hughes » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:29 pm

Hi there

It could be a problem with the mechanics of the keyboard. Check this by opening up Keyboard Viewer (it's available from one of the icons in the top right of the menu bar: either a flag, if you have one, or a little box with an asterisk in it). If it's working okay, then it should show up there.

If not, find a working keyboard and test that.

Hope that helps

Jeremy
music editor/engraver
iMac Intel 2GHz 2GB | OS X Version 10.6.5 Snow Leopard | Sibelius 6.2

Bo Ayars

Post by Bo Ayars » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Thanks for the tip RE: a faulty keyboard. I tried a different one after making sure it was working, and got the same result. So, it's not the keyboard. I'm open to other suggestions. In the meantime, I've assigned another key for that function. Thanks for the info...

Bo
ax2music.com
signaturesmusic.com

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:11 pm

Are there settings in the O/S that might be incorrect, nationality of keyboard, that sort of thing?

Bo Ayars

Post by Bo Ayars » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:27 pm

No - Keyboard is US (and I tried US Extended, too). I really think it's a simple thing of which I'm just not aware. I learned long ago that, if something isn't working, check to make sure it's plugged in! So, it's gotta be me, I'm' sure. Thanks for any help and, again, this isn't a huge deal as long as I've got a work-around...

Bo
ax2music.com
signaturesmusic.com

Bo Ayars

Post by Bo Ayars » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:27 pm

No - Keyboard is US (and I tried US Extended, too). I really think it's a simple thing of which I'm just not aware. I learned long ago that, if something isn't working, check to make sure it's plugged in! So, it's gotta be me, I'm' sure. Thanks for any help and, again, this isn't a huge deal as long as I've got a work-around...

Bo
ax2music.com
signaturesmusic.com

Silver45

Post by Silver45 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:36 am

Being a musician and not a tech-savy person,
I could use some help about this problem. Thanks in advance...