Single-figure time signatures

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
DavidBRAY
Sibelius Version: 2021.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by DavidBRAY » Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:39 pm

Hello
I have a question about rare time signatures, which I need to use in an engraving project based on a 17th-century manuscript source.
In this document, there are time signatures consising of a single figure - 2, say, or 3 - in the centre of the stave. This is like the position of C or C-barred. It is very common in such sources. Up till now I have created a new text style to input these, hiding the real time signature. But this is a pain when it comes to cautionary signatures, especially when dealing with a score and (linked) parts which need to be different.
The only way I can see to add the cautionary time signatures I need is (1) to add custom time signatures in the score as system objects, applying to all staves, which I then hide in the parts; and (2) in the parts, to create a new staff object and add a time sigature that applies only to one stave where a cautionary signature is needed for one instrument and not others. If the layout changes, these staff objects need to be re-jigged. There are hundreds of them...
Is there a better way? Can I create a custom time signature consising of a single figure that behaves like an ordinary time signature, and is positioned like C and C-barred ?
Any help gratefully received.
Cheers
DB

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:38 pm

I don't think there is an easier way. The Time signature glyphs are characters in the common symbols font which is used for clefs and other items such as time sigs. It's not easy to edit these independantly as they are hard wired into the program. The best I can offer is to use the Special Time Signatures text style to create a time signature that does (or does not) propagate onto all staves as needed. These will not force notes/rests to move right, so you'll have to set the spacing yourself.

It might be worth asking on the official Sib forum at https://www.sibelius.com/cgi-bin/helpce ... &groupid=3. Robin Walker is possibly your go to guy for this.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk