Stage Directions

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
Bramsong
Sibelius Version: Ultimate
Operating System: Mac

Post by Bramsong » Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:10 pm

Has anyone had experience entering stage directions into a score, such as for an opera or ballet? I want them to appear above the strings and be visible on the score and perhaps the piano part. But I don not want them to appear on the individual parts. Everything I've tried thus far doesn't work. All of the text styles I'm aware of are preset to either link to noteheads (lyrics, etc) or particular staff features.

RVSLee
Sibelius Version: 2019.4
Operating System: Windows

Post by RVSLee » Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:38 pm

Hi -
The most straightforward way to handle stage directions is to include a completely blank staff (no staff lines, barlines, clefs, keys, times, no nothing.) Your stage setting notes and directions can all be anchored to that staff and horizontally aligned in different ways. One trick I have is to include barlines as a guide as I'm inputting, and then hide them once everything is placed correctly. The only other note is that, generally speaking, such text blocks are placed above the vocal lines rather than the strings in a Full Score.