Slash Notation

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
MellodOutSax

Post by MellodOutSax » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:15 pm

So I have been working on writing some jazz things where I'm using slashes to help just notate where the time is and how long to hold on certain chords. This is seen most often in big band charts when there is a soloist who has an improvised solo. I was wondering how you can do this on Sibelius or if I'm S.O.L. for this. Thanks.

Sebasian

Post by Sebasian » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:13 am

MellodOutSax wrote:using slashes to help just notate where the time is and how long to hold on certain chords.
You can notate the rhythms and then change the Notehead to slashes. If another part has the same rhythms you can copy it, make all the pitches contant with a plug-in (it's called "Make Pitches Constant" in v.4) then change to the slash Notehead.

In v.4 these are Notehead 3 (stem) or 4 (no stem). Select a note or passage, and use the pull-down list in the Notes pane of the Properties Window to select.

I'm not sure of the shortcut in earlier versions but in v.4 the shortcut for Notehead is Alt+Shift+Number (from the top-row numerals).

MellodOutSax

Post by MellodOutSax » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:03 am

Is there anyway where I can do that without having to post every single note and just do a blanket change kind of like in Finale where you can just apply a staff style to it?