A few quick questions before I switch from Finale

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
Cyrano

Post by Cyrano » Tue May 22, 2007 7:28 pm

I'm about to pull the trigger and "upgrade" to Sibelius from Finale. I could use some help clarifying a few points first. These are really basic tasks, but I can't figure out how to do them with the limited help files that come with the demo version of Sibelius.

Can Sibelius easily adjust a staff to any given size?

Can Sibelius export a selection as a graphic file or copy it to the clipboard?

Thanks for any help.

Sebasian

Post by Sebasian » Tue May 22, 2007 8:02 pm

Cyrano wrote:Can Sibelius easily adjust a staff to any given size?

Can Sibelius export a selection as a graphic file or copy it to the clipboard?
Sibelius can have two different staff sizes in any given score, and you can control the size of staves easily.

Sibelius can export either whole pages at a time as graphics, or a small selection. It can then be pasted into Word or whatver.

Cyrano

Post by Cyrano » Tue May 22, 2007 8:17 pm

Excellent. Thanks for the help!

Cyrano

Post by Cyrano » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:01 am

I just got my copy of Sibelius 4 and have been trying to use it to make the kind of worksheets that I used to make in Finale. I guess I should have been more specific with my question. I want to be able to change the size of a staff in the middle of a score so I can show an example on a smaller staff and have the student write his answer on a larger blank staff below. In Finale, this is a simple matter of clicking a "%" button on a toolbar and then clicking a staff to be resized. One can choose to resize the staff for the entire score or for a given set of measures.

Is there not an easy way to do this in Sibelius? When I had the stripped-down version of Finale, Allegro, I had to have two staves of different sizes and hide the one I didn't want for any particular line. Please tell me I don't have to resort to this again.

Sebasian

Post by Sebasian » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:27 am

Cyrano wrote:I just got my copy of Sibelius 4 . . . . I want to be able to change the size of a staff in the middle of a score so I can show an example on a smaller staff and have the student write his answer on a larger blank staff below. .
If you have separate staves, select the one you want and use the "Small" check-box in the Staves pane of the Properties Window. To control the size of your small staves, use House Style > Engraving Rules > Staves and the last edit box is staff size (default is 75%).

Cyrano

Post by Cyrano » Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:21 pm

So, the only way to do this is to have a system with two staves in it and hide/show the small staff as I need it? I don't have a smaller example staff for every larger student answer staff; once or twice per page I have a smaller printed staff, followed by four or five larger staves for the students to write their answers on.

Sebasian

Post by Sebasian » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:21 am

Cyrano wrote:So, the only way to do this is to have a system with two staves in it and hide/show the small staff as I need it.
That's the easiest by far.

Cyrano

Post by Cyrano » Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:48 am

It's a lot more difficult than clicking the "%" button on the main toolbar in Finale, but it will have to do. There are so many things that are easier to do in Sibelius that I think I'll still come out ahead.

Thanks for your help.