Can Sibelius be used to write a book?

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
dax702

Post by dax702 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:24 pm

Is it possible to write a book using Sibelius? Nothing too complicated, basically just paragraphs of text with musical references in between throughout. Since the graphics export feature is apparently useless, I had this idea of just creating the whole book within Sibelius.

Sebasian

Post by Sebasian » Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:03 pm

dax702 wrote:Since the graphics export feature is apparently useless, I had this idea of just creating the whole book within Sibelius.
The graphics feature is perfect for writing books by exporting excerpts of music to Word or Quark or similar programs. Don't be fooled by how some of these things look on screen - printed out they can be really crisp and clear. Read the Reference carefully and persevere — you should find that you can get excellent results. Of course it depends on what graphics format you are using, and how well the host application handles it.

Sibelius could indeed be used in the way you want, but getting the staves to be in the right place would be difficult, and few of the text editing features of a wordprocessor or DTP package would be available. It would be perverse to do it that way, and far too much work, but it could be done.

dax702

Post by dax702 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:52 pm

I was interested in using Scribus, which is the high end open source desktop publishing application. Here's the reply I got from the Scribus mailing list when I posted the EPS exported from Sibelius:

"That EPS contains embedded Type3 fonts which aren't supported by Scribus PS import yet."

I was also given the suggestion of using a program called Pagestream..

marcschonbrun

Post by marcschonbrun » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:57 pm

I've written 7 books using Sibelius, so the EPS export is anything but useless for me.

Brett

Post by Brett » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:31 am

In v 2005 I used a grahics selector that made it easy to import music to word for further "book writing"
Is that selector available in 2003?
It seems the only way with 2003 to is to "export grahics" which I have problems with....

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:12 pm

If you're having problems with Graphics Export, you may be doing something wrong, as I've been using it with no problems at all.

Graphics export (whole pages) is fine from V3 onwards and for extracts from v4, so what are the problems you're having?

BTW, what do you mean by v2003, v2005 etc? Sounds more like finale than Sibelius! What version are you using?

Brett

Post by Brett » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:42 am

yeh thanks andyg

I got sib.3 and I want to export extracts

I used sib 5 the other day and it was v easy to export extracts

(I guess i'd be best suited to that )

what your saying is with sib 3 the book's better written on sib 3?