Help with Drum Notation

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
Loki

Post by Loki » Mon Sep 13, 2004 4:00 pm

I'm trying to learn drum notation using sibelius along with a drummer handbook I borrowed. I checked and I'm wondering why the drum mapping is a bit different.

The book says the bass drum should be on the 'F' part of the staff.

--------------

--------------

--------------

--------------
O
--------------

but sibelius plays the sound of the bass drum whenever I insert a note on the 'E' part of the drums staff

--------------

--------------

--------------

--------------

O------------

help anyone? I'm getting confused.

Lurker

Post by Lurker » Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:04 pm

Sibelius has chosen a particular standard (Percussive Arts Society) for its drum kit, and this 'standard' is not universal. You have two choices:

1. Learn to adapt to the Sibelius layout

2. Learn how to make your own 'map' for drums. If you ever use anything other than a pretty standard kit you'll need to do this anyway.

It's not hard to do, but confusing at first, and not all aspects are well described in the UG. But the basics are clear. Essentially if you use

House Styles > Edit Staff Types > Percussion > 5 Lines (Drum Kt) > Edit ( or, better still, New)

you can click on the note you want for Snare, then find "Accoustic Snare" or "Electric Snare" on the drop-down list. Then click on the note you want to be Bass Drum, and then find the instrument you want from the list. And so on until you've got the layout you want.

I would actually recommend that you make a New style based on Drum Kit rather than edit the supplied one (you use the same process) in case you want to play other people's scores which use the standard layout.

In any case, don't just make a New map without selecting an existing map to base it on - there are some bugs in the routine which stop it from working properly..