reasons for choosin' sibelius

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
arfo

Post by arfo » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:23 am

Hi everybody,
I would like to have opinions about the best reasons to choose sibelius instead of another notation software (finale, in particular...)

thanx

arfo

stephankanyar

Post by stephankanyar » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:08 pm

Just because it´s the fastest tool I know.

jford

Post by jford » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:59 pm

When I was first in the position of being able to select a high end notation software, I downloaded the trial versions for both Sibelius and Finale. I had worked with Finale years before while pursuing my bachelor of music degree, but had forgotten most of what I had learned. I spent some time with the trial version of each program and decided that Sibelius was more "intuitive" and "user friendly" for me. I could do more in Sibelius without having to read manuals or constantly use the help function. I think that trying both programs out is the best way to decide which one will work best for you. As far as I know both programs still offer a trial version which can be downloaded onto your computer and will work for a limited period of time. I have been using Sibelius now for 7 years. I am still learning new functions, and I am very impressed with the improvements they have made to it in this time. I use Sibelius in a professional setting and have not yet found a need it could not meet.

Julie

laurencepayne

Post by laurencepayne » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:45 am

Julie's answer raises an interesting point. She chose Sibelius because it felt "intuitive", but she is "still learning new functions" - which therefore were not intuitive.

I'm not a great believer in "intuitive". A program has to allow you a way in, but this idea that a complex application can be used without reading the manual strikes me as bizarre! As musicians we've all seen players who are restricted by the "intuitive" decision to play the piano with flat fingers, the guitar with the thumb wrapped round the instrument's neck.

The old story is that Finale, though impenetrable, offered more ultimate control over positioning and layout. Sibelius was "easier" but forced you to accept its decisions. Both programs have developed - you can probably get most of what you want in either. The main complaints seem to come from users who want both their choice of eccentric notation AND perfect playback :-)