How to fix midi events improperly generated by Sib 5?

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
thesoundsmith

Post by thesoundsmith » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:58 pm

OK, here's the deal - I can't describe EXACTLY what I do to cause this, but it is very consistent as a generic action:

I create a part which includes a slur or tie to another note. \It plays fine. Later, after more editing, I change the note value - change length or pitch (maybe I am changing from a tie to a slur? I don't have time to beta test for free, but someone may have run into this issue already?)The result is that the tie continues to sound, even though the note is no longer that length or pitch. I can delete the slur and eliminate the playback problem, but if I put the slur back, the problem returns.

As perhaps part of the same problem, I have some phrases that (again, after editing) used to play correctly as play 16th-16th, rest 16th, play 16th, now do not play the second 16th on the first phrase, but play it fine on subsequent repeated phrases(not with the repeat symbol, but with actual notation)

How can I fix (or prevent) this? Alternatively, is there a clear and readable capability to directly edit the midi stream?

Thganks.
Dasher

It's all about the music. I keep telling myself that...

Sebasian

Post by Sebasian » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:16 pm

thesoundsmith wrote:. . . maybe I am changing from a tie to a slur?
If they are ties then make sure there are no 'dangling' ties - i.e. ties which don't actually connect with anything. There's a plug-in ('Remove dangling ties') which helps look for these.

If they are slurs, it's possible that the Dictionary setting for slur makes the notes too long, and some devices will turn the next note (same pitch) on, but not turn the previous one off.

If your playback device does this, you might have to set slurs to 100% of their value in the Dictionary (rather than 102%, which is the usual default).

The setting is in Play > Dictionary > Staff Lines > Slur Above (and Below).

thesoundsmith

Post by thesoundsmith » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:07 pm

Thanks, Sebasian. (Man, do you get paid for this? You're very knowledgeable)... Sounds like the 102%, never occurred to me.
Dasher

It's all about the music. I keep telling myself that...