Where have my sleigh bells gone? (Ooh Er Matron!)

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
yhaalhouse

Post by yhaalhouse » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:13 pm

So there I am creating an amazing orchestral completely over the top arrangement of a tune for the Winter Solstice/ Hannakah/ Saturnalia/ Hogmanay/ "Winterval"/ Christmas/ Yule period and I thought- Ah! Sleigh bells! Of course. I went to percussion and added them to my score. You can't beat a dollop of the corny old ching ching ching to cheaply get the right atmosphere for that time of year!

But I can't hear them!
I tried changing them to some other unpitched percussion. Still don't work. Changed them to pitched perc (celesta) and ting ting ting, there it was (sounded a bit like someone bashing a wine glass with a biro actually but that's not the point!)
Why can't I hear my sleigh bells?

Sebasian

Post by Sebasian » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:21 pm

yhaalhouse wrote:I can't hear them!
What playback device are you using, and what sound library? The version of Sibelius makes a difference, too. Sibelius 5 and 6 have changed the way unpitched percussion works, but there are several different problems that could be putting a dampener on your sleigh bells and it's hard to diagnose without more information and (preferably) a score (you can attach .zip files here).

yhaalhouse

Post by yhaalhouse » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:11 pm

Bonjour!

I'm using Sib 5 and the inbuilt sounds and playback...

It's just coming out of the PC via line out into my amp...

(Sebastian, you seem to answer an awful lot of queries here. Are you the moderator or wotteffah?)

I'm not using the same computer as I use when Sibelius-ing so no scores I'm afraid...

Sebasian

Post by Sebasian » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:59 pm

yhaalhouse wrote: I'm using Sib 5 and the inbuilt sounds and playback....
You need to make sure you are using all the right noteheads, and that whatever you are writing for input matches with the drum map you are using.

Also, Sibelius can only load one set of percussion sounds at a time per staff, and if you want something from another set you may need an Instrument Change to make it work. That's often the reason particular instruments don't sound (or have the wrong sound).

Maybe the best starting point is to get to grips with percussion maps — maybe this excellent video tutorial will help

http://www.sibeliusblog.com/tutorials/v ... ibelius-5/