Differences between student and educational versions?

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
Contrabass Thane

Post by Contrabass Thane » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:35 pm

Hey. I'm sixteen and I'm hoping to get into Towson for music ed. I play contrabass clarinet, Bb clarinet, tsax, and bass. By recommendation of my bass teacher, I've decided to purchase Sibelius. I've read the comparisons page and such, but I really want a frank opinion from the people who use it everyday (my teacher uses cakewalk, which is apparently only for macs, but I play way too many online games, Windows4life). I've also seen the new Sibelius 6 upgrades info and I'm pretty impressed. If someone could tell me what my best deal is if I feel like making arrangements for clarinet quartets, transposing music I've found on other sites, transcribing whatever comes to my abhorrently absent mind, and so on, I would be much obliged.

P.S. Looking into the future: do musical colleges require these programs? If so, please bear that in mind with your response. Thanks.

Sebasian

Post by Sebasian » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:02 am

Contrabass Thane wrote: If someone could tell me what my best deal is . . .
Sibelius Student is a cut-down version of Sibelius which is intended for students who have access to the full version of Sibelius at their school or college. They do they home assignments on the Sudent version at home, then add all the bells and whistles in class. That's the general idea, though Sibelius Student works fine as a stand-alone program.

If you're really serious about music then the full version of Sibelius is the option you should go for. There is so much more flexibility, a wider range of instruments, many more editing features and a range of plug-in not available with Sibelius Student (or Sibelius First, which is another, slightly different, 'cut-down' version of Sibelius).

The full version is more expensive, of course, but the Educational discount is really helpful. On the other hand, if you buy Sibelius Student you can get a very competitive upgrade price to the full versions later.