Changing from spiccato to arco

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
Larry Mal

Post by Larry Mal » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:11 pm

Hello folks, I am having trouble with this. I am using Kontakt 3.5 in Sibelius 5.13 (I think, whatever the latest one is). Mac OS 10.6.3.

I have figured out the manual sets, I have four instruments loaded up in Kontakt, one that is arco violin, one that is pizzicato, one that is spiccato, one that is vibrato. Channels 1, 2, 3, and 4 respectively.

I have it starting off arco, and then can switch it to spiccato no problem, but then it stays spiccato despite my having marked it "arco" by using the Control-T Text Edit. I also have made it read various things, such as "Arco~ Ch 1" and "Arco~Channel 1" and so forth.

I went into the manual sound sets and changed the default "strings.violin" to read "strings.violin.arco". This only confused it more.

I downloaded the demo of Sibelius 6, and got the same results, so I know it is something that I am doing wrong here. But I don't know what it can be.

I'll post a link to a Youtube video if anyone thinks they would like to see that.

Thanks!

dspreadbury

Post by dspreadbury » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:19 am

You can't change channel with a Technique text message.

It sounds like you should have the following sound IDs set up:

Channel 1: strings.violin
Channel 2: strings.violin.pizzicato
Channel 3: strings.violin.spiccato
Channel 4: strings.violin.vibrato

Now you should find that "pizz.", "spicc" and "vib" entered in Technique text produce the appropriate change of sound. You may need to write "nat." or "ord." before each subsequent change to make it switch correctly from e.g. pizzicato to spiccato.

Larry Mal

Post by Larry Mal » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:43 pm

Thanks for the reply- that is exactly the way that I have Sibelius setup. When starting the piece, it plays the first "strings.violin", and then when told to, correctly plays spiccato. However, when I later tell it to play arco, it continues to play spiccato (by entering a text over the selected note).

I'll try using the "nat" and "ord" commands, though this is the first I've heard of them, can you elaborate as to what they are and how to use them?

Thanks again!

dspreadbury

Post by dspreadbury » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:49 am

"nat." and "ord." reset the playback sound back to the default sound for that staff, so in the case of "strings.violin.spiccato" it resets the sound back to "strings.violin", which should allow the next sound ID change to be found correctly.

Sebasian

Post by Sebasian » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:15 am

Larry Mal wrote:I'll try using the "nat" and "ord" commands . . .
To save some possible grief, note that by default both these words have a full stop (period) and won't work without it.

(You can change this in the Dictionary if it doesn't fit your editorial style.)