How to create non-traditional key signatures. PLEASE HELP

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
Kungen

Post by Kungen » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:12 pm

Hej!

I need to create a time signature that has two sharps. But it's not C and F that is to be sharpened, it's C and G. Bartók (among others) used this key signature.

How can I do it? I don't need info on "Open Key/Atonal", I need info on how to compile a key with the accidentals of my choice.

Regards
K

Bastis

Post by Bastis » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:47 pm

I think you have to do the whole thing manually.

Write the score using an atonal signature, then hide all C and G accidentals, and insert a sharp symbol at the beginning of each system. I guess it would be possible to create a plug in for this, not sure though, and I can't seem to find a filter option for the accidentals, so if it is a large piece, you've got some work ahead of you.

PS. Go Sweden!

Kungen

Post by Kungen » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:57 pm

Hej Bästis!

Ok, I see how this can be achieved. Thanks a lot. I have to lock the lengths of the systems too, in order to make the sharps stay at the beginning of each system.

It's a bit hard to beleive, though, that a state-of-the art program like Sibelius doesn't offer an easier way. I mean, non-traditional signatures is not all that uncommon.

Thanks again, from Kungen, who is Swedish enough, yes!

Sebasian

Post by Sebasian » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:52 am

Kungen wrote: I have to lock the lengths of the systems . . .
You can edit a clef you won't be using in the Symbols menu to include the sharps, using House Styles > Edit Symbols. Apply that clef at the beginning of the piece. It will then function like an ordinary clef (though the fake Key Signature will be ignored). That way you don't have to worry about system lengths, or placing the symbols correctly each time.

You would need to adjust House Styles > Engraving rules > Clefs and Key Signatures > Gap after initial clef to make space for the fake key signature.