Creating vocal accompaniment with Photoscore+Sibelius

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
daoliver

Post by daoliver » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:50 pm

This is surely a common issue:

Most vocal pieces do not have extant recorded accompaniment (e.g., music minus 1) for practice purposes. For pieces written for purely piano accompaniment, one can always accompany one's self. But there are important pieces written for larger forces (e.g., Barber's DOVER BEACH which is written for string quartet accompaniment). I'm wondering how satisfactory the procedure of taking a full score into Sibelius via Photoscore and creating a playable piece with Sibelius instrument files and playback without the voice might be?

I'd appreciate responses from those who might be using this procedure (or rejecting it as unsatisfactory). Any pointers to additional experience on the web relating to electronic accompaniment in practice sessions would also be welcome.

Thanks,
David Oliver

Sebasian

Post by Sebasian » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:26 pm

daoliver wrote: I'm wondering how satisfactory the procedure . . . might be . . .
Many users find that it's quicker to input the music from scratch than to make all the correction, changes and adjustments usually needed for a PhotoScore scan.

But with practice, and with a good original to scan from, you can get good results. The best outcome is probably to use PDF files directly generated (e.g. by another notation program).

The 'lite' version supplied with Sibelius is not nearly as accurate as the Ultimate version. However the paid-for version might prove expensive if you are not sure how well it will work or how often you can use it.