Note sounds on my score are not producing the right note.

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
Yearbook

Post by Yearbook » Thu May 26, 2005 7:15 pm

I'm a new user to Sibelius and using it to compose music for my highschool's drumline in the Drumcorps/Battery score. However, when I hit playback, the notes that are played are NOT drum sounding at all. They sound more like saxophones or french horns. I'm thinking the sound files aren't in the right places.. Please help.

Thanks in advance,

Yearbook

"If you can play, you can play anything" -- Buddy Rich.

Zapruder

Post by Zapruder » Thu May 26, 2005 7:46 pm

Thanks for the private message.
I'd like to answer this one on the chat page, if you don't mind (maybe others have a similar problem).

Your problem has everything to do with the mixer and MIDI channels. It would lead me way too far to go into every single detail but here are some pointers:
- The General Midi Channel for drum sounds is CH 10.
- On other Midi Channels generally, you cannot trigger drum sounds.
- So, in the mixer, assing all your staves to CH 10
- You will notice that -after having choosen CH 10- you cannot make a choice in the "Sound" dialogue of the mixer.
- Percussion staves have different sounds assigned to different staff lines and noteheads.
- To get a view of the sound mapping of one of your percussion staves, go to House Style > Edit Staff Types > Percussion and choose the type of staff you want to check out.
- Choose Edit
- In the dialogue that appears, you can check out the sounds and notes. You can change them if you want. Also there are the "General" and "Notes and Rests" tabs with more goodies to edit.

Let me know if all this makes any sense to you.

Zap
# I am NOT a "Professional Sibelius Trainer"
# Please state the Chapter(s) of the Sibelius User Guide you already searched in order to solve your problem.
# Remember that this is not an official Sibelius website.

Yearbook

Post by Yearbook » Thu May 26, 2005 8:39 pm

Zap, I can't thank you enough, but how stupid I feel. I can't seem to find my instruction manual at the moment as well as where to find the channel settings on the program. I just had them up a minute or two before you're reply and can't remember where...

:roll:

Yearbook

Post by Yearbook » Thu May 26, 2005 8:46 pm

Zap I would appreciate it very much if you would just completely disregard that message i just sent... thanks to you I was able to find all and do all and get everything straightened out. I can't say "thank you" enough. Thank you for your time.

Yearbook.