Sound comparison - Sibelius vs Finale

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
HansNel

Post by HansNel » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:21 pm

Hello my friends, I really don't want to spoil the mood on this forum as it is a place to discuss music issues regarding Sibelius. Having said that, I do feel compelled to mention this subject here as we have to give potential buyers a fair overview of Sibelius' capablilities.

Sibelius's audio output capabilities has been slandered on Finale's website: http://www.finalemusic.com/Finale/compa ... ances.aspx

I just want to say to anybody who wants to purchase a music notation software that both Sibelius or Finale can produce good audio output. It greatly depends on the sound library used.

On Finale's website, Sibelius Sounds was NOT compared with Finale Sounds 'SmartMusic SoftSynth' but with a better vst. Sibelius' sounds are far superior to Finale's sounds.

So, it is NOT the notation software, but the Sound Library used that can produce reallistic sounds in audio files. Sibelius does actually have a 'human playback' feature. 'Live Tempo' together with 'Live Playback' and the 'Dictionary' can actually produce much more reallistic 'feel' than Finale's human playback. Still, both software are good for it.

Do check out a section of an audio file I did in Sibelius 5 for the South African Navy Band in 2009. I saved the audio file from the score and added the applause at the end with a wave editor. There are no strings as the music was scored for a military band. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXPoe5_oH-Q

Regards... :)
MUSIC - GLORY FROM GOD!

"Music's only purpose should be the glory of God and the recreation of the human spirit." - J. S. Bach

Sibelius 7, Finale 2011, Sonar X1

musikai

Post by musikai » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:41 pm

To be fair, why should they use the Finale "SmartMusic SoftSynth" when they can use the included Garritan sounds?

HansNel

Post by HansNel » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:13 pm

Hi musikai, that is not to point. The point is that BOTH Finale AND Sibelius has the capability to CREATE good quality audio files. It just depends on the VST used. If sound is going to be your thing, get Notion (allthough it's scoring capabilities are found wanting).

So, Sibelius and Finale is about engraving good quality scores. If you want to create good audio files with it, get a better VST...like I demonstrated.

One last thing, I think that those Finale boys should have made a comparison using both software and the SAME VST, like GPO. I wonder what the result would have been then?

Keep well...
MUSIC - GLORY FROM GOD!

"Music's only purpose should be the glory of God and the recreation of the human spirit." - J. S. Bach

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:03 pm

If you truly want realistic, authentic audio files, you need to do more than just score it and play it back, however good the VST.

You need to use the far greater control of a DAW and YOU need to play the notes, not the computer!

Both Sib and Finale can produce great scores and impressive audio, but there are limits, removed by using a DAW.

As for comparisons, F and S have been at each other's throats for years, having digs at each other. It will always be so, and I always ignore advertising claims and counterclaims. What matters is what I think.

HansNel

Post by HansNel » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:26 pm

Hi andyg,

I totally agree! The cool thing about Sib7 is it's integration with a DAW (Pro Tools 9). I hope Avid will consider Cakewalk Sonar as well.

Regards... :)
MUSIC - GLORY FROM GOD!