? Correct drum notation in Sibelius 3

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
pippypyle

Post by pippypyle » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:31 pm

can anyone tell me how, starting from scatch, to create a drum score correctly using cross note heads (X) for varoius cybals, triangular note heads for cowbell and so on? Thanks!

Zapruder

Post by Zapruder » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:12 pm

This is the way to do it:

- Make sure that the first Keypad (Ctrl+Alt+K) and the Properties Window (Ctrl+Alt+P)are in view, just to see what you are doing.
- Create the notes of the HH and Cymb in voice 1 (pointer is blue, 1 is lit blue on the Keypad).
- When the bar is full with the HH and Cymb notes, select the bar (single rectangle) and open the "Notes" tab in the Properties window.
- In that "Notes" tab, select the crossed notehead (1). All notes in the bar now have the right notehead.
- Note that all the noteheads in the "Notes" pull down menu have a number. Use this number as a keyboard shortcut. In this case, instead of selecting the notes in the pulldown menu, you could have typed Shift+Alt+1 (the "1" on the Main Keyboard, not the numeric one!).
- Hit Esc (nothing selected)
- On the Keypad (or with the numeric keyboard), select the rhythmic value of the first note of the bass drum.
- Type Alt+2 (the "2" on the Main Keyboard). The pointer is now green and the "2" on the Keypad is lit green.
- Click on the first beat of the bar. The first bass drum note is now created.
- Keep creating the bass drum / snare drum pattern as you would normally do.
- When the bar is full, hit Esc.
- Done!

Let me know if this is the answer you wanted.

Zap
# I am NOT a "Professional Sibelius Trainer"
# Please state the Chapter(s) of the Sibelius User Guide you already searched in order to solve your problem.
# Remember that this is not an official Sibelius website.

pippypyle

Post by pippypyle » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:21 pm

Thanks Zap
That sounds very clear and concise. Thanks very much for taking the time and trouble replying.
I'll let you know if I have any trouble following what seems to be excellent information.
Best
Pip

SteveWads

Post by SteveWads » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:51 pm

Thank you for that explanation Zap, I just stumbled across it from google and it really helped. However, could you possibly tell me if there is a way of getting the stems of the kick drums note to point down while the snare and hihat point upward please?

Thanks

Zapruder

Post by Zapruder » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:36 am

SteveWads wrote:However, could you possibly tell me if there is a way of getting the stems of the kick drums note to point down while the snare and hihat point upward please?
There are two possible situations (now working with Sib4 and Sib5):
You already created a drum pattern:
- Select the bar(s)
- type [Shift+V] (= "shift voice"): this will turn Voice 1 into Voice 2 and vice versa (thus also changing the directions of the stems)

You still have to create a drum pattern:
- Create the music as I explained before but create HH & Snare in Voice 2 (= stem down) and BD in Voice 1 (= stem up)

Let me know if this helped.

Zap
# I am NOT a "Professional Sibelius Trainer"
# Please state the Chapter(s) of the Sibelius User Guide you already searched in order to solve your problem.
# Remember that this is not an official Sibelius website.

SteveWads

Post by SteveWads » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:06 pm

Cheers that's really helped me out :)

All the best!

jayendra

Post by jayendra » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:33 pm

or you could try
plugins - composing tools - add drum patteren

that way you don't have to do the voices thingy and notehead change and you can just edit a straight up rock beat

SteveWads

Post by SteveWads » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:03 pm

Hi again

I've been busy writing out my quaver drum beats and now a new problem has arisen!

I've been trying to write out a shuffle pattern for blues and such, however I can't get the 1st and 3rd partial of the triplet cymbal pattern to join stems. Sibelius seems insistent on keeping them seperate with a great big bracket over the top of them. It's not so bad when there's only 1 or 2 bars but when you're writing out a whole sheet the bars obviously get smaller and there's four brackets a bar which really makes it difficult to read. I realise I could just use a straight quaver pattern and write "swing" over the top but I really want to show the subdivision of quaver triplets for grace notes and things. Any ideas?

Many Thanks

Steve