Spacial Notation, lining notes up on the barline

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
GuruComposer

Post by GuruComposer » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:22 am

Hi everyone. In my spacial notation score, I would like to have notes actually come on the barline so that barline intersects the notes in the middle of the notehead. This way the visual aspect of the spacially notated score will be even more accurate. Are there any ways to make this possible?

Thanks

Wes

bobp

Post by bobp » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:31 am

Do you need barlines?

Bob
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

GuruComposer

Post by GuruComposer » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:39 am

Hey Bob, Ya I need bar lines, because basically in my handwritten score, I have 1 bar line = 1 second. basically quarternote = 60, but it's spacially notated, so it would make much more visual sense if I could notate notes directly on the barline for the "downbeats." For example, when everyone is playing spatially notated pitches, and then I want them to all line up on one chord at a specific moment, I want to write the notes all directly on the barline, so they know exactly when to play.

bobp

Post by bobp » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:51 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a bar line does not exist in time. It is a graphic that separates measures. The beats before or after are what we count. Bar lines are not really necessary, and have not always been around in music history.
What beat is the bar line, and how would you as a director tell musicians to play on the barline? Is it not beat one that you are talking about?

Bob
Bob Porter

GuruComposer

Post by GuruComposer » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:58 am

Yes, I am talking about beat one, I wanted to move beat one to visually display on the bar line. This is so the players know that in the midst of the graphic notation, that they must align on beat 1. There are no "beats" in the score. If beat one is in the "normal spot" just to the right of the bar line in a spatially notated score, that dosn't tell the players when they should align and come together. Does that make sense?

bobp

Post by bobp » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:42 pm

In Sib 7 there is a Magnetic Layout button that needs to be turned off. Then you can put notes on barlines. I imagine there is something similar in 6. If you are using 6 let me know and I'll fire up my old computer and try to fine it.

Bob
Bob Porter

GuruComposer

Post by GuruComposer » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:21 pm

Hey Bob, thanks for all of the help. I'm currently using Sib 6, and I've turned all of the magnetic layouts off, and I can only move the note adjacent to the bar line but not actually intersecting it. Can you actually have the notes intersect with the barline in Sib 7? Here is a .jpeg picture of what I want to do in the score as an example. If you could imagine that all of the notes in the bottom 2 staves with notes on them were being directly intersected by the dashed barline, that is what I want. For example, tell the players to play notes exactly on the conudctors downbeat.
Attachments
Score.jpg
Score.jpg (192.08 KiB) Viewed 8624 times

bobp

Post by bobp » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:49 pm

I forgot that the note I got to line up on the bar line was not a note entered from the keypad, but a Symbol. I think right-click on the score will bring up a menu that has Symbol in it. These notes you can put anywhere, but they will not playback(as they are symbols not notes). That may be as good as you can get.

Bob
Bob Porter