Sibelius as a scoring editor front-end for a DAW

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
almound
Sibelius Version: 7.5.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by almound » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:30 am

Sequencers have crappy scoring editors and I'm tired of waiting, so these tutorial videos show my solution. My method should work for just about every notation program that has playback and with most sequencers. Each staff of a Sibelius score acts just like a MIDI controller keyboard sending a music stream to the sequencer. There is no quantization necessary.

Because Sibelius can send more than one stream, it can play all the instruments of an entire piece simultaneously, and these tutorials show how to write the score so that subtle nuance in the performance is introduced as this is done. One gains all the advantages of using VST plug-ins common to sequencers. For instance, I separate the instruments of the orchestra in the stereo field using Virtual Sound Stage 2.0 during Sibelius playback.

In the second series of tutorials, I extend the concept so that ultimately one need not do very much editing at all in the sequencer's piano roll editor after recording the MIDI. There are full details and troubleshooting tips, too.

I'm still not allowed to post URLs, so to find these tutorials just look for Al Johnston on Youtube (its the Novaclassica Youtube channel).