Lost part of an arrangement.

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
sus4

Post by sus4 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:41 pm

I whet to open an arrangement I did about 5 months ago and when I did half of it was gone. I cannot find other saved ones and it seems that this is the only one I have saved. Shouldn't there be more than one back up file of projects? It's a good thing I printed the arrangement out when I wrote it. Now I'll have to go back and re-enter all the remaining notes for all the parts to have a completed score.
Any comments?
Thanks

KJ_Palmer
Sibelius Version: 6.2, 7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by KJ_Palmer » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:00 am

Check in your backup scores folder for autobackups - default in windows is something like
C:\Users\[Username]\Documents\Scores\Backup Scores. The actual location is set in Preferences > Saving and Exporting > Autobackup. Up to 200 backups in total are kept by default.

A third part file recovery utility may be able restore files from that period, unless you've done a full disc wipe since then.

Photoscore (lite) would help save manual re-inputting notes if you have a scanner.

It's an idea to get into the habit of doing regular backups of important files to an exterrnal drive as an extra safeguard.
Sibelius 6.2, 7.5.1, Windows 11

sus4

Post by sus4 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:39 am

I did all the checking you suggested and I'm coming up with the same score. I checked my external drive going back a full year and all I'm getting is the same score with just half of the arrangement. It looks like I inadvertently erased half of the score without realizing it. I must have done it when the score was completely finished. Very odd for something like this to happen. Looks like I have to change my backup method.

sus4

Post by sus4 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:21 pm

PROBLEM SOLVED.
Went back to my external HD and looked again more closely and found the full arrangement. It just didn't make sense that it wasn't in my external HD.