TEXT FONT PREVIEW LIST (Edit: problem resolved down bottom)

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
appreciatethehelp
Sibelius Version: 6.1.0
Operating System: Mac

Post by appreciatethehelp » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:48 am

Hey guys am new here. Does anyone know where I can find a complete list containing previews the text fonts available in Sibelius 6.1.0?

To clarify, I am looking for a list containing a sentence written out in every available text style, preferably "the fast brown fox jumps over the lazy dog". This will enable me to see what each text font looks like at a glance rather than having to preview each one individually.

This will help me to choose my favorite text font styles, as well as see which styles look good together for use in my scores far more quickly.

If there isn't one available anywhere then I will have to make the list myself for mine and other's use, however this will take me quite a long time considering the hundreds of available text fonts. I would literally have to write out "the fast brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" on a blank page, then copy/paste it so I have it written out the same number of times as the amount of available text fonts, then manually change each sentence ("the fast brown fox jumps over the lazy dog") to each different text style. Would really like to avoid doing this if possible!

Thanks very, very much in advance for any help.
Last edited by appreciatethehelp on Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:32 am, edited 4 times in total.

bobp

Post by bobp » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:52 pm

Which text fonts are you looking for? Lyrics, dynamics, staff, and much more are all in c:/windows/fonts.
In Sibelius, select the font you want to change, go to edit fonts, there will be a list of available fonts. You can go to the Fonts folder to see a better example.
I don't think anyone has put together a list because everyone's total list will be different.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

appreciatethehelp

Post by appreciatethehelp » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:24 am

Thanks for the reply. I am not having trouble accessing/changing the different fonts, what I am after is a list of the same word or sentence written in each different font style on one page so that in one look I can see what all the different styles look like and compare them with one-another to match them up for use in scores.

I will give you an example of what it might look like:

the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog THE QUICK BROWN FOX JUMPS OVER THE LAZY DOG -Helvetica
the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog THE QUICK BROWN FOX JUMPS OVER THE LAZY DOG -Times
the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog THE QUICK BROWN FOX JUMPS OVER THE LAZY DOG -Arial black
etc.

Each sentence "the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" would be written out in each different text style, until all the standard/unmodified text styles that come with Sibelius 6.1.0 are covered.

If you aren't aware of any such list, could you advise on a fast way to make one, other than the long-winded and time consuming way I mentioned in my previous comment?

Cheers.

appreciatethehelp

Post by appreciatethehelp » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:04 am

I've figured out how to make the list the quick way! Your instructions of looking in my computer's "fonts" folder helped!

I'm using Mac OSX 10.7.5 and the fonts list can be found in the FONTS BOOK, which I found by typing "font" (or "font book") into the spotlight search bar.

In the font book I selected the "English" category, as I only am only interested in English fonts for my purpose.

I then highlighted all the fonts in that category by clicking the font name at the top of the list, holding down the shift button, then clicking the font name at the bottom of the list.

I then selected "print", found under file, print (or ⌘P)

In the print dialogue box that popped up as a result I clicked on the arrow on the tab labelled "PDF" in the bottom left corner, I then selected "Save As PDF" from the drop-down list that appeared.

This produced a PDF with all the English fonts available on my computer, along with their corresponding font names (the only problem is that Sibelius doesn't recognize all of the fonts on my computer, so some of the fonts aren't available for use in Sibelius, however most of them are).

Thanks for your time, Bob P. !